Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best hardware keys for covering string book parts

Is there a stock board that has this setup already?  

Patch changing is possible, but key switching would be better.  

String Ensemble - arco, pizz, trem

Solo Cello - arco, pizz, trem

Solo Violin -arco, pizz, trem

At home I used to run a copy of Gigastudio that did this very well on a desktop.   I know Mainstage can do key, velocity and pedal switching.  

I recall the Motif XS having two assignable switches on the left that they demoed for doing this type of work.  But did they include all the articulations in the ROM?

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Korg Kronos could do it I think (my Krome had a simplified version of this), and all those particular articulations are in the Motif series as well - you just have to program a bit if you want it to latch etc. Typically you'll see pizz, tremolo, arco, marcato, and spiccato in newer keyboards. Kurzweil boards have some more options with the PC3-era strings bank.

I'm not aware of any keyswitching abilities in hardware. But something like Kurzweil's Quick Access mode and a switch pedal to move back and forth would be the next best thing IMO.

• Like 1

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76| Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT, Kurzweil PC4 (88)

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments