Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Xenyx x2222

Welcome to the Recording Forum. There are a couple of things to consider with using the x2222 as a recording front end. The good news is that it has fairly standard and capable EQ on each channel, and some built-in effects, although I would assume the effects in your DAW will be much better for mixes as it pertains to reverbs especially.

The first 8 (I think channels) accept TRS channel inserts which means that with the use of TRS (Tip, Ring, Sleeve) Y-Cable, you can add an outboard compressor, another EQ or any mono processor to those channels. There are many options in those departments ranging from $200 to $4,000 and up.

The other consideration is how will you be using this mixer to connect with your DAW? Do you plan on using it as a stereo USB interface? If so, you are good and will simply be mixing down multiple channels through the mixer into a mono or stereo input into your DAW of choice. You can also use the same 8 inserts described above and use those as direct outs into a separate interface (depending on how many input channels your interface has). The plus here is you can multi-track live, although I do not know enough about the Xenyx architecture to know if the insert/direct out path is pre-eq. I suspect it is, and therefore there may be little benefit over simply bypassing the mixer just using a multi-channel audio interface which would most certainly have it's own built-in preamps.

It all comes down to, the best way to trick out your setup is to decide what you want to do. What are your immediate recording desires and needs? Choose and buy gear as and when you need it. Don't buy gear just to have it, and hope you will use it.

Will this be a keyboard sub mixer? Will you track a full group of musicians playing live? Do you simply plan to track one source at a time and build up tracks that way? Will you be using microphones (how many) or direct instruments?

Answering these questions will help you determine how to best trick out your setup for the most effective use.

• Like 1

Editor - RECORDING Magazine

14 hours ago, Dr arachno said:

What can i do to trick out my beringer x2222 to the max?

Rackmounts, synth boards, daw!

The heart of any recording system is the DAW. 

Try some demos, see if there is one in particular that you find easy to use. 

See Craig Anderton's SSS forum for a thread with a poll on DAWS, good long list of options there. 

Next up is getting your sounds to the DAW. As Paul points out above, you do have some ability to do that with the Behringer mixer but options using minimal cables are minimal options - it's a 2 channel interface if you go USB. More channels will require more cabling and complexity. 

FWIW, I have an 8 channel interface because I thought I would want to be able to have channels dedicated to specific instruments. That's nice but the resulting clutter is pretty distracting. I'm now using a 2 channel interface and doing very well with a more minimalist approach but I'm pretty much a solo recordist who does record a friend or two here and there. 

When possible, try simple first and only add complexity if you absolutely need it. 

And, sad to say but in my opinion, "tricking out a Behringer x2222 to the max" is sort of like trying to hot rod a Ford Maverick. It can be done, but why?

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

5 hours ago, KuruPrionz said:

Next up is getting your sounds to the DAW. As Paul points out above, you do have some ability to do that with the Behringer mixer but options using minimal cables are minimal options - it's a 2 channel interface if you go USB. More channels will require more cabling and complexity. 

Apologies, you can record 8 simultaneous tracks in stereo using the Behringer as a USB interface. 

But, you will need to make sure you have the mix you want dialed in because you won't be able to change it much after it's recorded. 

You may even need somebody on the faders, mixing while the band plays. It's been done before but I don't recall ever hearing the outtakes. 😃

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.