Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Process #5 - Learning to Mix

This one will be brief, I hope to hear stories from others on this topic as well. 

Many years ago I had friends who owned a small 8 track recording studio and ran a business with it. I was allowed to go in and use the gear sometimes and I was also allowed to be a fly on the wall. I got to listen to tracking sessions and mixing sessions. 

I learned some things but not much really applied to digital. It's another world with far more possibilities. And that phase of my life ended decades ago. I put together a humble 4 track cassette studio (who didn't back then?) and forged ahead. More learning, more experimenting. 

Fast forward and I'm mostly ITB but I have some OTB tendencies (guitarist for one, you can't get that expression ITB that I know of).

Quite some time ago, I stumbled onto Metapop.com. I've done over 20 re-mix or producer sessions on there. It's freeing to work on tracks that you have no real association or attachment to and it's also a great education in the variety of music that is being produced today. 

I've figured out some great ways of working just destroying other people's work. 😇

I haven't won any competitions (yet) and I've slowed down considerably on my Metapop binge. Still, I recommend it to anybody who wants to get better at mixing ITB. 

How did YOU learn???!

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic