Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Thinking About this mod for my pre-war Martin

CEB

My brain hurts just looking at that. Where to begin?

Alright, first thing I notice is that the soundtrack doesn't seem to quite line up with what his hands are doing? That could be just a slight playback glitch, but IDK?

Second, I don't really hear any of the Guitar's Acoustic properties in that video. I'm hearing what sounds like a heavily processed Piezo PU sound, throughout.

Third, when Ovation first introduced the offset, epaulet Soundholes on their Elite models, they discovered that drilling Soundholes in the lower/treble-side bout of the body lost volume and tone, rather than improving it in any way. I've seen Ovation Elites where the player either stuffed some cloth behind those lower soundholes, or just resorted to a strip of tape, and the improvement is noticeable.

Finally, watching that guy just randomly drilling holes in the top of that Guitar, I have to wonder how much of the bracing is compromised, and if he gave any thought at all to what he was doing? I'm waiting for the follow-up video, where the top collapses into itself, or the string tension tears the thing apart. It's all fun and games until someone goes an eye . . .

• Like 3

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

2 minutes ago, Winston Psmith said:

My brain hurts just looking at that. Where to begin?

Finally, watching that guy just randomly drilling holes in the top of that Guitar, I have to wonder how much of the bracing is compromised, and if he gave any thought at all to what he was doing? I'm waiting for the follow-up video, where the top collapses into itself, or the string tension tears the thing apart. It's all fun and games until someone goes an eye . . .

Maybe he wants a Darwin Award but not just an ordinary one but a particularly stupid one? 🤩

• Like 1
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

+1 Winston, I thought about those Ovation historical holes and wondered how he missed hitting the bracing under the top. Maybe the inside wood splinters, shavings, chips, dust, etc., and the lack of the top vibrating would all help his tone LoL!  I also noticed the notes and fingers didn't quite line up.  Jerry Lee would say A hole (pun intended) lotta drilling & shaking going on...😎

• Like 2
Take care, Larryz

1 minute ago, Scott Fraser said:

But mainly, the guy says the tone improves markedly, but never lets us hear it before he ruins the instrument. I call bulls**t worthless clickbait.

To say nothing of all the distracting "fluff" and ambiance conveniently included in the mix, very helpful for judging tones. 

Bottom line - tones are completely subjective in all cases. A few months ago I tried a guitar at the thrift store just for fun and it sounded so bad that it was good. 

Reminded me of a record my brother played often, Blind Blake playing ragtime blues guitar. The LP was compiled from old 78s which was the popular format back in the 1920's. 

Thin, yet harsh. 

I will say that the playing is very good in the video posted in the OP. I won't be drilling holes in the top of any acoustic guitars any time soon... 

• Like 5

If drilling all those holes is such a good thing to do, how come no guitar manufacturer that I know of does this with their guitars?  It would be simple to do.  Just lay the top piece face down, draw out where all the bracing will be, drill all the holes in the top, then glue on the bracing and install the top to the rest of the guitar.  I'm with Scott.  I also call bullsiht on this video.  But at least it got a worthwhile conversation going.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
I rock; therefore, I am.

2 hours ago, Sharkman said:

If drilling all those holes is such a good thing to do, how come no guitar manufacturer that I know of does this with their guitars?  It would be simple to do.  Just lay the top piece face down, draw out where all the bracing will be, drill all the holes in the top, then glue on the bracing and install the top to the rest of the guitar.  I'm with Scott.  I also call bullsiht on this video.  But at least it got a worthwhile conversation going.

Well, a conversation at least! 🤔😊

I'd bet there are even stupider guitar videos on YouTube but I can't think of one off hand. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2