Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New keys player on Roland Fantom 08 TIPS NEEDED

Chlo-bo94

Hi, 

I'd really appreciate some suggestions and any tips people have.

I started playing the keyboard 17 years ago and did my LCM exams up to grade 8. This was however, using basic pre programmed backing rhythms with block chords in the L hand and a right hand melody. I used the same old, very basic keyboard up until 2 months ago where I purchased an 88 key Roland Fantom 08. 

I joined a pop-punk 4 piece cover band as a singer and am now playing keys too. I've never played in a band before and am sometimes unsure how to fit myself in and what sound to chose. I have no clue how to use the technology on the keyboard and feel overwhelmed with where to start. (Think pop cheese, Kelly Clarkson, Katy Perry, Stacey's Mom, All the Small Things etc)

If anyone has a suggestion for what sound I could use for the Shut Up and Dance (walk the moon) solo that is already on the Roland, then that would also be very helpful!

Thank you for reading.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have that keyboard (nice choice, by the way), so I can't advise on exact patches. But I wanted to ask: are you going for exact reproductions? (So Shut Up & Dance would need a synth pad and strings, All The Small Things would be a square-wave lead synth - check out Rick Beato's video on that song)

If it was me, I would dial it back to basics: distorted Wurlitzer and Hammond. That will see you quite deep through this particular stylistic repertoire. 

Cheers, Mike.

So if I understand the question correctly, you have a Roland Fantom and you are newly in a pop-music cover band, and you are wondering what sound to use.

So the basic process is to listen to a recording of the cover song to get an idea for what sounds they used to make the recording, figure out what notes were played using that sound, try to find (or create) a similar sound on the Fantom, and then use that sound to play those notes at the right moment in the song.  The good news is the Fantom has a lot of sounds in it, and a large capacity to create different ones.

And if that seems like a lot of work, then do it in small chunks: start with just one song, and work on that.  Then on to the next song.

6 hours ago, stoken6 said:

I don't have that keyboard (nice choice, by the way), so I can't advise on exact patches. But I wanted to ask: are you going for exact reproductions? (So Shut Up & Dance would need a synth pad and strings, All The Small Things would be a square-wave lead synth - check out Rick Beato's video on that song)

If it was me, I would dial it back to basics: distorted Wurlitzer and Hammond. That will see you quite deep through this particular stylistic repertoire. 

Cheers, Mike.

Few random thoughts!

Don't get overwhelmed, and just support your own singing to start.
Same applies to supporting guitar solos etc. Supporting other things is definitely a keys players' thing.

Block chords will work fine for now on a Hammond sound to fill in some sonic gaps.
Expression pedal is a must, I think.

With Grade 8, your fingers can obviously work very well independently.
Listen to any keys riffs/melodies on the tracks, and sure you could manage very well.

Learn what a square wave/sine wave synth sounds like, don't be afraid of not playing anything, esp. with singing.
Simple pads are cool and the bassists and guitarist won't hate you, but it will make a difference if you drop out.

Anyway, good luck - it's a great keyboard. Sure you have the chops. Have fun.