Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Joyo battery operated power supply.

surfergirl

Since we will most likely not be near an outlet, we will need to use batteries. We have rechargeable for the amps.

I'm not sure what effects we will be using other than the those on the amps, but probably 4 or 6 total. I'm thinking this maybe an option for power, rather than individual batteries.

https://www.joyoaudio.com/product/94.html

• Like 2

Jennifer S.

16 hours ago, surfergirl said:

Since we will most likely not be near an outlet, we will need to use batteries. We have rechargeable for the amps.

I'm not sure what effects we will be using other than the those on the amps, but probably 4 or 6 total. I'm thinking this maybe an option for power, rather than individual batteries.

https://www.joyoaudio.com/product/94.html

6 hours ago, surfergirl said:

I just read the manual and this what it says.

Do not use it at high temperature or humid environment, nor expose to strong sunlight. We have all three to deal with. We'll probably have to use batteries.

I suspect that it'll be alright as long as you keep that rechargeable PS in the shade and under cover- on the underside of a pedalboard, and/or under some kind of small tent/tarp/something or other to keep it out of direct sunlight and rain with a reasonable amount of air around it (that is, not directly covered by a blanket or tarp). You're only going to power a few pedals with it, right?

Brainstorming here...

Something as simple as a box with a side cut away for facing the ground, a little 'shell' positioned to partly shield the back-side of your pedalboard from direct sunlight, should do well. Maybe cover this cardboard contraption with white sheet material or the like, so that it's a little nicer looking and also reflects sunlight and heat, unlike darker colors or black, which could make the heat worse. Just a little sunlight shield for the back area of your pedalboard. Along with the JP-05 PS 5 being mounted beneath your pedalboard, it should be fine.

I'd had to rig up a similar enough little makeshift 'sunshield' just so I could read the display on my tuner pedal at outdoor gigs years ago. (I wish I'd had my Peterson StroboStomp HD then!! Awesome bright, vivid, huge display!!)

THEN AGAIN... (EDIT)

Read these two user reviews in full...

• Like 3

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I'd suggest looking at some of those 1 Star reviews, as well.

Overheating, and random resetting seemed to be two of the main complaints. Several users said that the Outputs aren't isolated, so noise is an issue, and there's the likelihood that your most demanding gear will be drawing power away from other parts of your live rig.

IME, even under ideal conditions, rechargeable batteries still use more energy than they give back, and over time, the law of diminishing returns takes over; they can become less effective at holding a charge.

• Like 2

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

Maybe a pop-up tent would provide enough shade to run the Joyo and keep you two comfortable?  I had an annual gig outdoors with no electricity. We had side walls to protect from sun, rain, wind, etc., and decorated behind us with a table to get our amps up off of the ground, cowboy stuff, etc.  Kept our battery powered amps, mics, etc., out of the elements almost like being indoors.  A couple of good reviews for Joyo-05 on Reverb.com. Lithium battery pack should last 2-3 hours with low-draw analog pedals. Be cautious and follow your instincts as you know your weather, etc., better than anyone else...  😎

• Like 2
Take care, Larryz

Trip to Costco and loaded up on energizer batteries. I bought 48 AA, which gives us 2 changes per amp. 3 hours a week, maybe 4, I'm hoping for 3 or 4 weeks. I'll decide if I want go to rechargable later. All the effects I'm planing to use have a draw of under 4mA except my Fulltone 2b, I can't find it, but the draw on the fulldrive3 is 13 with both channels on so no more 6.5 I would imagine. I'm just going to use batteries for effects.

• Like 3

Jennifer S.

35 minutes ago, surfergirl said:

All the effects I'm planning to use have a draw of under 4mA except my Fulltone 2b, I can't find it, but the draw on the fulldrive3 is 13 with both channels on so no more 6.5 I would imagine.

Yeah, the current requirement spec for the 2B seems pretty elusive; I can't find it anywhere, myself! It must be pretty low.

If you disconnect the plugs from the inputs of each of your pedals between gigs and practice sessions, their batteries should last you pretty well. Use good alkaline 9v batteries, unless you find that an old-school carbon-zinc or the like sounds and/or feels better with a given pedal- it happens! Most often, though, any difference is is subtle or virtually indistinguishable- and the alkalines should last longer.

• Like 2

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

16 hours ago, Caevan O’Shite said:

If you disconnect the plugs from the inputs of each of your pedals between gigs and practice sessions, their batteries should last you pretty well.

More to the point, if you leave the Input/Output jacks connected, even with nothing powered On, you'll probably drain old-school carbon-zinc batteries overnight. Alkaline batteries will last much longer, but you'd still be wasting much of their potential life by leaving the pedals connected.

Plugging into the Input Jacks engages the batteries, so you really have to think of them as always-On. With many pedals that accept either battery power or AC adapters, plugging into the AC jack dis-engages the batteries (you don't have to have a Power Supply connected nor powered up, just a daisy-chain cable will do the trick) but you're still better off to disconnect any Inputs on any battery-powered pedal, Amp, or MFX.

• Like 5

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com