Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Question for K&M 18880 owners : which additional tier?

obxa

Hi all,

I followed the great information in the "another stand" thread, and has led me to get the 18880 stand.   Hoping you guys can address specific details and share use about the tiers?  I'll be happy to delete this post and move to that thread if needed. 

I'm confused, and  wasn't sure which tier (81a or 82b ?) to get for just dual keyboard use. 

I will be using this seated with just two keyboards:  98% of the time: Numa X piano on bottom and Nord Stage Compact or Nord Electro 5 on top.  No accessories, mic stand etc.   Occasionally  using a Yamaha P255 as bottom.   This will be my go-to dual seated stand-won't need to change once set.  Like everyone else, I prefer keyboards close together as possible- organ manual style.  The Numa needs a little bit of clearance to access buttons.  The Yamaha 255 is taller and doesn't need access to top space because of the buttons. 

Besides drilling holes, I saw  many  folks turn the 81 tier around, and others say it's not necessary, and that the 82 addresses the bars being too long for overlap use and no sawing is needed??  Does the 82 go lower without drilling holes?

The  1st picture below is my preferred setup for pit band-show stuff wtih my soon to be retired  PITA user-hostile OnStage Z stand.     I tried using my favorite OnStage platform stand  with their generic 2nd tier (pic also enclosed) but it's wobbly and the Nord compact makes it  top heavy with too severe a tilt as well.      I normally use the platform for solo gigs, or with an X stand for my organ/piano rig in an L shape for artist gigs. 

I greatly appreciate and thank you in advance for any insight from long term users!

My Oldies/Pit rig with Z stand: Great once set, but hard to travel with. 

oldiesrig3.jpg.3108f14b1ddbd3f43bea487d3193220a.jpg

Platform attempt and fail- had to move the Numa extremely forward, and hack the 2nd tier height using the cross-bar holes to hold the arms, still too high and dicey.  Not shown: opening  platform to its widest position helped wobble.  

IMG_5028.thumb.JPG.2d3c027a83101ed7f5f97dd93dc24c61.JPG

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

4 minutes ago, obxa said:

Besides drilling holes, I saw  many  folks turn the 81 tier around, and others say it's not necessary, and that the 82 addresses the bars being too long for overlap use and no sawing is needed??

I was looking into this recently:

18881 Support depth: 340mm

18882 Support depth: from 340 to 450 mm

So the 82, if anything, address the bars being too short.

Cheers, Mike.

• Thanks 1

I have the Omega pro, so not the same stand, but sounds like the 2nd and 3rd tiers may have the same issues.  I ended up with the 2nd tier and yes it's a bit higher than I'd like even at lowest setting, but it's playable.   The bottom tier has those arms jutting out but in practice my keyboard pretty much comes out to the same spot so it's not hitting me in the "midsection" as it were :)   Again, different stand but perhaps the same issues.   The omega pro does have a DIY mod where you can use the 3rd tier instead of the 2nd, by removing the rubber stoppers from the end of the 1st tier arms, inserting the 3rd tier base, then you have to drill a hole to be able to tighten down.  I considered this but I also thought I might actually want a 3rd tier so went with the 2nd :D 

• Like 1

The 18882 has the pass through to add the 18881 above it, and the extension piece at the front which is what gives it additional possible depth (340mm to 450mm instead of just 340mm). 

The fact that the 18881 does not have the pass through at its rear allows a board to hang off its rear, making the lack of additional front extension kind of irrelevant.It's also what allows you to flip it backwards if you wanted the support to be further back, or didn't want arms covering any part of the lower board.

• Thanks 1

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)