Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The “Super Saw”: The douchiest synth sound

Supersaw was first implemented by Roland in the JP-8000 in 1997. Soon every dance oriented synth had to have Supersaw. The JP-8000 still remains among the best, with controls for the tuning spread and mix of the 7 waves. Most synths have a more static version. It is certainly recognized when used in the same old way for over 25 years. But it's quite useful for other sounds, where it doesn't stand out as that thing and then doesn't get identified as that thing. So now the word Supersaw has basically come to mean a particular style with a particular patch, no longer really just that waveform which can be used in other ways.

• Like 1

Mike Kent

- Chairman of MIDI 2.0 Working Group

- MIDI Association Executive Board

- Co-Author of USB Device Class Definition for MIDI Devices 1.0 and 2.0

Also confirming the Supersaw’s origin on the JP-8000 (and rack 8080).

Even Roland didn’t replicate it well after this synth.

I always took it as a result of years of experience developing electronic synthesis that would sound like a string section — something that was a known strength on pre-Supersaw Roland synths — and an interesting next step in that area.

Fortunately/unfortunately, like many previous Roland things, it became the trademark for a style of music. Often emulated, never exactly like the original, like the TB-303 sound that created acid house, or the TR-808 that created house.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/14/2022 at 8:08 PM, JazzPiano88 said:

Can anyone remind me who did this SuperSaw line?   I used to quote it in the middle of Chameleon but can't remember its source.  It might be Jeff Beck / Jan.

/       /         /       //  /     /         //  /        /         /     /     /    //  /

G     Bb     C      E C    Bb       F E     Bb^2    A     G    F   E C^2   

I found it.  It actually wasn’t a super saw line.  It was Jeff Beck.  But I played it with the supersaw sound. 

It’s  from Jeff Beck Wired.  Led Boots track.  Jeff’s main guitar line.  Funky as all get out.  

• Like 2

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

On 1/7/2023 at 12:30 AM, JazzPiano88 said:

I found it.  It actually wasn’t a super saw line.  It was Jeff Beck.  But I played it with the supersaw sound. 

It’s  from Jeff Beck Wired.  Led Boots track.  Jeff’s main guitar line.  Funky as all get out.  

Dang! Feels wierd pulling this out 3 days before he passed :(

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3