Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Focusrite ISA 828 MKII - Video Review

Nice!

Thanks Paul for posting. 

Here is the link to the Focusrite page on the ISA Two, like the one I own. I have an ISA One as well, sort of on the fence about that one but I do like it. That features a separate input control and impedance switch for the DI, also separate outputs for Mic/Line and DI, which is pretty cool. It's actually a 2 channel preamp in it's own sneaky way!

https://pro.focusrite.com/category/mic-pres/item/isa-two#images

I caged the photos off the interwebz, close ups of the front and back of an ISA Two to illustrate the difference for everybody else who might read this. 

First, the ISA Two is the only member of the ISA series that does not offer an A to D converter. It's strictly audio, you would run the outputs into the inputs on an interface but since interfaces generally have both A to D and D to A (so you can listen back), I don't see that as much of a problem. 

The close up of the front shows the 2 Hi-Z instrument inputs on the far left and also the high pass filter for each channel, which the ISA828 MkII does not have. Not an essential feature but nice for maximizing your input signal if you don't need low frequencies (vocals or mic'ing acoustic guitars comes to mind). The high pass filter can be set from 16hz to 420 hz, a useful range. Switching the high pass in will reduce frequencies at an 18db per octave curve below the frequency selected. 

The close up of the rear shows the mic and line inputs, the XLR output (you could use XLR to TRS 1/4" cables if your interface does Line In on TRS) AND the Send and Return jacks for each channel, another feature I like. 

ISA 2 Front.jpeg

ISA 2 back.jpeg

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.