Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

World Cup 2022

3 hours ago, Bill H. said:

France kicked the ball into the arm of an opposing player who was turning away from the field of play

That Argentinian player knew fully well that he was blocking a shot at goal inside of his own penalty area. He had no business extending his arm like that.

That being said, the handball rule in football has indeed become confusing. 😇 It used to be a lot more clear-cut (on purpose or not?), but no more: https://www.theifab.com/laws/latest/fouls-and-misconduct/#direct-free-kick

Amazing match, with both teams playing their hearts out. Tend to agree with Docbop that, within the rules of the professional game, winning takes precedence over everything else.

In the interests of fairness, I recall an infamous Argentina vs England WC encounter in 1986. Terry Fenwick an England player remembers defending against Maradona this way: “I belted him two or three times. I thought ‘that’s him done’. He was off the pitch for four-and-a-half minutes after I whacked him once.”

So those hack jobs didn’t just come from one side, I can tell you.

For me, the difference between champions and also-rans is fairly simple: the former are singularly talented, single-mindedly hardworking, and can take the heat of elite competition. They win, and often come back stronger - then they win again. Brazil, Germany, Italy, Argentina and Uruguay have done this, as has France. And no doubt they’ll do so again.
The latter are almost always simply not good enough, however hard they work. So instead they complain: the ref favoured the other guys, they had better gear, the wind wasn’t right, Mars wasn’t aligned with Saturn, I didn’t get to call my dog first. Urgh.

Can’t remember where I first heard this but it’s an extended paraphrase that underscores my point: Regardless of circumstance, genius always does what it must; talent often does what it should; mediocrity sometimes does what it can.

I agree. That was fun. For 80 minutes it felt like one of those blowouts you don't expect in the championship game (it happens all the time in the Super Bowl) and then suddenly France woke up and made it crazy fun.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI