Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha CP4 white keys sticking down

bluesharpbob

I have a yamaha cp4 digital piano. I've done several repairs myself on it over the years. Now 2 white keys -an F & adjecent G- get stuck down. They have play in them that the other keys don't have - when you open the piano and push the keys forward from the back, they move & pop out without having to press with a thin plate between the keys. I thought the keys were broken , but when I swapped them with the 2 keys from an octive lower, they work fine & the keys still stick, so it looks like it's not the keys. everything looks the same when I pop out the broken or not broken keys & the springs look set correctly. I'm at my wits end- anyone out there experience this also &/or  have any idea about what is wrong?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive done key swap and replacement on Yamahas. Their designs are very good this way - press the plate, remove the key, replace with a good one.  Done.  But you’re suggesting that the socket where the keys snap into is damaged.  The keys are popping out without having to press the plate.  I guess check with a Yamaha service  center - perhaps they can forward your question to one of the techs and see what’s possible when it’s more than just a key replacement.  Even if you need to have them do the work, you might learn something new.  

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I've tried everything I can think of ,searched sites & forums, but can't find the problem. The keys & the keybed look identical where the keys are fine & the 2 that pop out when pushed. I've done my own repairs for many years on all kinds of keyboards ,generally quite successfully (an aside- the black key guide caps I glued in several years ago have given me no further problems. I had another one fall off about a year ago, & glued that one successfully also.) but I'm offically stumped. The nearest  factory service  place is an hour away- & they're talking 10 -20 days turn around time - but them's the breaks

• 11 months later...

I purchased theCP4 off of ebay (BIG MISTAKE)After the 30 day return expired some of the keys start it sticking the seller refuse the return but offered to pay for the keys to be unstick asking us to pay the $30 or $40 it would cost to unstick, that never happened so now we are stuck with the keyboard having to find an authorize yamaha dealer to fixed the keyboard, ebay refuses to have anything else to do with the issue, finally found someone in Manhattan going later today to have it fixed hopefully