Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

RCF Art 708 A or 710 A mkIV

Has anyone tried the RCF Art 708 A or 710 A mkIV for digital piano amplification?  

https://www.djsuperstore.com/rcf-art-708-a-mk4-active-speaker/

Relatively affordable solution depending on how it compares to Yamaha DXR or QSC K.  And how much different it sounds than the TT.  

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Kind of a bump, because I don't know the answer, but might be interested in the info.  After 8 years of IEMs, there is a chance our band gets an electronic drum kit, which might mean I go back to using speaker(s).

I did use some kind of RCF powered speaker at a recent gig, supplied by the venue when their normal wireless IEM setup (they usually hand us four IEM packs) didn't work.  It sounded *great*.  It was larger though, I believe it was a 12" speaker.  Very clear with piano and everything else.  I have used the band's QSC 10.2s for keys at practice and those also sound very good.  From limited exposure, much better than the cheaper ones I've tried like Mackie thumps.

Also on similar note.  I did a job last spring where the monitors were Turbosound TFX122M-AN )1100W 12 inch 2-way Flashline Series Stage Monitor).  These are coaxial design in wood case. They are wedges, but have pole mounts.  $439.  They honestly sound so good on digital piano.  But they are 37.2 lbs.  

14 minutes ago, Dave Ferris said:

Years ago I A/B'd the latest ART series,  they were the 710 and 708 models with the TT-08A, on my then Yamaha CP5. I seem to recall I also tried the 712.

I was thinking maybe I could save some dough if the formers were even close. But the difference was so night and day, I wrote off all the ARTs in literally a few minutes. I would assume in that time they have refined the ART series and they are probably comparable to the DXR8s and K8.2s. Which all are more then fine for really any general gigging application.

But in the end, you get what you pay for. If your expectations  for piano are higher, you're not going to get same hi-fi detail and closer to  studio monitor emulation as the TT-08As. And I'm banking that new mk2s sound even better. Certainly the TTs aren't Genelecs or Fulcrum Acoustics but for performance speakers at the price point they're at, they're very good.

When I’ve heard the previous Art 7s on general program material (CD recordings of stuff like Tower of Power, smooth jazz - all things that include drums and bass) they were very good at this.  Tight low end, not sloppy sounding.  But solo piano is a little different animal.  I’m wondering if these mkIVs are better than DXR and QSC K by any margin.  Even if they don’t compete with the TT at its price point and out-of-the-box goodness.