Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Spend my money on a preamp

I'd like to add a new preamp to my setup. I have UA Apollo interfaces, so I have six inputs on which I can run their Unison plugins on and get emulations of Neve, SSL, and API preamps. I also have a UA LA-610, a Focusrite Octopre, and two Presonus Eurekas. 

The Apollo preamps are used for drums (I generally use the Neve 1073 plugin), and the LA-610 is for bass. The Focusrite and Eurekas are very clean. So, I'd like to add something with a little character, mainly for use with sax and trumpet (I'm mainly recording jazz). It doesn't have to have EQ, but it's a plus. I'd like something that complements what I already have. It can either sound similar to what I have and like (so it could sound like a UA or a Neve), or be it's own thing. But it should sound noticeably different than my clean preamps.

Under $1000 would be ideal. Current frontrunners are a UA Twinfinity and a Warm Audio WA-73 or WA-73EQ (which are Neve clones). Your thoughts?

Focusrite ISA One has some harmonic distortion, I have one and I liked it enough to pick up a used Focusrite ISA TWO, which is similar but with three notable differences.

The ISA One has separate inputs and outputs for mic/line in and the DI section. I believe it has separate input resistance settings as well. The ISA One is more of a "lunchbox" configuration while the ISA Two is a single rack space. They both have the same transformers and similar tone, a bit of smooth, beautiful grit that makes a tone pop out in the mix. The ISA Two has 2 preamps, fully independent of each other. 

These are quite different from the Octapre, they have Lundahl transformers and are 100% analog. The impedance/resistance switch allows you to get a variety of tones out of a single microphone. 

Neither has EQ, if I chose a mic and settings I can get great sounds without EQ. If you shop for used from a reputable dealer, either of them should be under $1k.

I also have a Blue Robbie, which is another "lunchbox" and has a tube circuit but is very clean unless you push it hard. I've got the ISA One and the Robbie mounted on a rack shelf, they take up 3 spaces but I like them quite a bit. 

Another way to add character to your tracks is to copy and paste a duplicate of the track you want to "pop" and drop a quality guitar amp plugin set for harmonic distortion. Those will have EQ, adjust to taste with the mix. I use that trick on vocals, bass and anything else that needs to move to the front. The best part about using 2 tracks is that you can automate the volume on the distortion track and bring it in and out as needed (for solos for one thing). Current favorites of mine are the Plugin Alliance Fuchs Overdrive Supreme 50 and Chandler GAV19T.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Here is another possible option. 

If you have some tech skills and can solder, Microphone Parts.com has some microphone kits that feature capsules, circuit boards, and/or transformers that produce musical second order harmonics. Some of the kits use existing mics and transform them, some of the kits are complete microphone kits. 

I've built 2 of the kits that use "donor mics" and one complete kit - the T-67. All of them are great mics. My second donor mic kit has a circuit board with higher levels of second order harmonics and a transformer that also emphasizes harmonic content. It's maybe a bit too much by itself but paired with a cleaner mic and recorded on separate tracks you can get some great tones. 

The most I paid for a kit was a bit under $500 so it could save you some money over a preamp too. 

Thanks! The ISA is now on the list. I had always assumed that they were just very clean preamps, but clearly, there's more to them.

I've got a bunch of fine mics (and also had an old Rode NT-2 modded with a new capsule, and now it sounds fantastic), but I have thought about building a preamp kit, so I should look some more into some kits.

• Like 1

I haven't built a preamp kit yet but some of them look like fantastic gear.

Do you subscribe to Tape Op magazine? It's free, they will send you a digital copy and will also send a print copy if you prefer that. 

LOTS of reviews of every possible thing used in recording, a valuable resource since their reviewers use the gear as intended for a while before reviewing and often end up buying the demo unit. I've learned a TON of great stuff from their interviews as well, they are diverse, cover lots of topics and often get the heavyweight producers/engineers/ etc. to share what they've learned. 

• Like 1