Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Any recommended guitar course?

chongjasmine

I am mainly learning guitar to learn praise and worship songs. I want to worship God with the guitar.
I had 2 months of guitar instruction back in the past before I stopped due to financial constraints. I learnt the dduudu strum pattern during my guitar instruction class. It is a group instruction class.
I am interested in learning mainly to play praise and worship songs, as well as hymns and gospel songs.

From justinguitar, I learnt the D chord and A chord, though I struggle with them sometimes. I am currently using justinguitar as a resource. I may consider subscibing to either guitartricks or jamplay, though I am not sure which is better. These guitar sites are good, but they mainly teaches secular songs, and rarely, and most often not, have any praise and worship songs which I can learn.
I will really appreciate if someone can point me to a website that focuses on teaching praise and worship guitar, even if it is a dvd.

I prefer online video site with lifetime subscription, so that I don't have to pay again and again. I know of two websites, worship artistry and worshiponline that focuses on christian praise and worship but they are mainly songs and not techniques or styles or music theory.

I will like to learn guitar music theory, guitar strumming pattern and learn more guitar chords. I also hope to learn to move up and down the guitar fretboard and transpose with capo. As of now, I do not know how to use a capo.

Also, are there any guitar websites beside guitartricks, jamplay, truefire or artistworks that offer video instructions from beginner to advanced? Especially one that is focus on praise and worship? Or teaches songs that worship artistry and worshiponline doesn't cover?

Thanks for all the recommendations so far, will continue to look at more recommendations. I recently bought a FG830 Yamaha acoustic guitar and wonder if it works with praise and worship songs, or will an electric guitar suits me better? Also, which is better, guitartrick or jamplay or truefire?

Furthermore, I recently inherited a sum of US$1000 and will like to invest them on guitar course. Price is not an issue for me. What are some guitar accesories I should look up for and purchase, besides the capo, that will aid me in learning guitar? My budget after spending on FG830 is US$1000. Any course within that price range and is good will be considered by me. Thanks for reading!

• Like 2

Welcome aboard Chongjasmine!  I'm not into gospel and can't answer many of your ???s.  But consider finding someone on YouTube that can help you get started.  I took a look and found this guy (which you can follow or not).  I think he can show you a few tricks with the venue you are interested in with chords and strum patterns.  Worth taking a look IMHO. The main thing is to have fun with your guitar learning journey.  It can be a long journey but well worth the effort! 😎👍

ps. When you get that capo, you can move these 4 chords up and down the neck and cover all the keys you'll be needing! 😎

• Like 1
Take care, Larryz

Welcome to the Guitar Player Forum,  Chongjasmine.  Here are two websites that I go to whenever I have any questions or ideas about either chords or scales.  WWW.Chorderator.com shows just about every chord you can imagine, and hundreds more that you never imagined.   WWW.Scalerator.com shows all kinds of scales in every key, which is useful in figuring out what chords go into what key, and vice versa.  Next, I am going to mention two common chord progressions, the one four five and the one minor six four five.  A great deal of songs in rock and roll, country, folk, and pop music use one or the other of these chord progressions, so I assume that worship music is similar.  Let me use the key of C major for this example, since C major does not have any sharp or flat notes.  The C major scales is C D E F G A B, so a one four five progression means you would play the chords C (the one), F (the four), and G (the five).  I am using major chords for this example, just to make things easy.  To get started, tap your foot in a steady kind of slow beat, then strum the C chord eight times, then the F chord eight times, and the G chord eight times, and keep repeating.  You may notice that what you just played sounds like a lot of songs you have heard before.

Now, lets expand your playing a little.  This time use the one minor-six four five chord progression.  In the key of C, they are C, A minor, F, and G.  Once you get good with both chord progressions in C, try other keys.  This is where both Chorderator and Scalerator come in really handy.  This alone should keep you busy for at least a few weeks, probably more.  If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask anyone here.  There are a lot of people here who REALLY know guitars and music, and we are all happy to share our knowledge and experiences.

• Like 1
I rock; therefore, I am.