Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

America is a British-American rock band formed in London in 1970.  America is Dewey Bunnell, Gerry Beckley and Dan Peek, sons of US Air Force personnel stationed in London.

The song's title refers to the Tin Woodman from The Wizard of Oz. Songwriter Dewey Bunnell was quoted describing the parallel: "My favorite movie, I guess. I always loved it as a kid. Very obscure lyrics. Great grammar - 'Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man.' It's sort of a poetic license.  

This song is for all innocent and simple people of our world.  May their joy and appreciation for life spread like wildfire, and promote happiness and hope in all peoples.

https://youtu.be/Iv83qYuMQY0

Dewey Bunnell is the undisputed master of the Major Seventh chord and stream of consciousness lyrics. He may have been the first to coin Purple Rain.

America has another song for all the lonely people in the world thinkin' that life has passed them by. Written by Dan Peek as a response to "Eleanor Rigby". Produced by George Martin as was "Tin Man" 

• Like 1

Gibson G101, Fender Rhodes Piano Bass, Vox Continental, RMI Electra-Piano and Harpsichord 300A, Hammond M102A, Hohner Combo Pianet, OB8, Matrix 12, Jupiter 6, Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, CS70M, CP35, PX-5S, WK-3800, Stage 3 Compact

We do "Tin Man" and just what is the tropic of Sir Galahad anyway? Most of the words in the verses don't make sense at all. But it's a nice sounding song anyway, and as you noted, I get to play a lot of M7 chords on the guitar.

Notes ♫

• Like 1

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com

Style and Fake disks for Band-in-a-Box

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

23 hours ago, Shamanzarek said:

Dewey Bunnell is the undisputed master of the Major Seventh chord and stream of consciousness lyrics. He may have been the first to coin Purple Rain.

America has another song for all the lonely people in the world thinkin' that life has passed them by. Written by Dan Peek as a response to "Eleanor Rigby". Produced by George Martin as was "Tin Man" 

Hi Shamanzarek,

Lonely People is another great song, and thanks for this recording.

Such wonderful songwriters, full of mystical words sometimes.

Thanks for there great feedback.

Rene

23 hours ago, Notes_Norton said:

We do "Tin Man" and just what is the tropic of Sir Galahad anyway? Most of the words in the verses don't make sense at all. But it's a nice sounding song anyway, and as you noted, I get to play a lot of M7 chords on the guitar.

Notes ♫

Hi Notes_Norton,

Glad to hear that you were doing America's songs, and I'm sure they were a bit.

I do not know where Sir Galahad came from, but they sounded so good.

Love their songs.

Thanks for your great feedback.

Rene

• 1 month later...

Hearts is my favorite and arguably their best album. A little bummed when they stopped naming albums that started with "H" :) Kind of a fun little thing they did. I wish I could meet them. My favorite band growing up. First concert I ever saw. And "Daisy Jane" was one of the first songs I ever learned. I even kind of sound like Beckley. And was in the USAF as well. Final trivia which probably interests only me, I'm friends with his son's real estate agent in VA back when (yeah I'm sure that'd get me backstage, that's the ticket...). His wife said she so got over the celebrity thing and rather quickly lol

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/18/2022 at 6:32 PM, RABid said:

Horse With No Name was the second song I learned on guitar. Another one of those America songs that we sat around in college trying to figure out the meaning behind the lyrics. 

And then it turned out there wasn't any. lol  Not their best lyrical effort. 

I felt sure it was about drug addiction ("Horse" was a nickname for heroin back then).

• Like 1