Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I'm Not In Love, 10cc 1975

Nicely done!

That's one of my favorite songs of all time, and the original recording is an absolutely fantastic example of the creative application of available technology (16 track analog) to do something rather unique. The way they recorded that song was brilliant, and the end result is rather spectacular IMO. It still holds up today, even in an era where we have samplers and other tools that would make the production far easier to pull off. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, RABid said:

The production of that song was so far ahead of its time.

And yet so much a product of its time.

Nobody would use digital tech to come up with fading individual layered tones for chords… 

• Like 1

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

On 6/12/2022 at 10:47 AM, Philip OKeefe said:

Nicely done!

That's one of my favorite songs of all time, and the original recording is an absolutely fantastic example of the creative application of available technology (16 track analog) to do something rather unique. The way they recorded that song was brilliant, and the end result is rather spectacular IMO. It still holds up today, even in an era where we have samplers and other tools that would make the production far easier to pull off. 

Hi Philip,

Definitely unique and quite a complex recording!

I agree, brilliant technique and still holds up to present recording quality and technique.

Thank you for the fabulous feedback!

Rene

On 6/12/2022 at 12:56 PM, RABid said:

The production of that song was so far ahead of its time.

Hi RABid,

For sure, these artists are really into their craft.  

Seriously reaching for excellence and superior musical recording!!!

I love it!

Rene

On 6/13/2022 at 2:52 AM, analogika said:

And yet so much a product of its time.

Nobody would use digital tech to come up with fading individual layered tones for chords… 

Hi analogika,

Definite.  They had to do it manually, and did a spectacular job!!!

Piece of cake, nowadays.

Still a fabulous musical product!!!

Thank you.

Rene

• Like 1

This inspired me to come up with a way to get the "Airy" Dolby A "encoded-but-not-decoded" vocal sound. It will be in my "Friday Tip of the Week" on the PreSonus blog, and published on June 17. It was a challenge, because the secret to that sound is there's more compression applied to the high frequencies at lower levels. As the level increases, there's less compression until the ratio hits 1:1. That's why the treble doesn't get overbearing, even if you don't "decode" it. Fascinating stuff. Well, at least to me :)

• Like 2

On 6/13/2022 at 4:52 AM, analogika said:

Unless you're an outlier tech-head who uses hex guitar, runs six streams down an Ethernet cable, and assigns the sound of each string to its own track...because there's no other way to do it...🤣🤪  

Except maybe it would be easier to do it in analog!

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose"

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Anderton said:

This inspired me to come up with a way to get the "Airy" Dolby A "encoded-but-not-decoded" vocal sound. It will be in my "Friday Tip of the Week" on the PreSonus blog, and published on June 17. It was a challenge, because the secret to that sound is there's more compression applied to the high frequencies at lower levels. As the level increases, there's less compression until the ratio hits 1:1. That's why the treble doesn't get overbearing, even if you don't "decode" it. Fascinating stuff. Well, at least to me :)

I'm into learning these little tweak tricks myself. So Ill tag along. 

• Like 1
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

On 6/15/2022 at 10:47 PM, Anderton said:

Hi Anderton,

Truly fascinating, and very complex production.

Love your technical knowledge and capabilities.

Respectfully,

Rene

1 hour ago, Rene Asologuitar said:

Love your technical knowledge and capabilities.

I'm pretty old, so I've had the opportunity to learn a lot :)  I was also lucky to see world-class engineers at work back in the 60s and 70s when I did studio work and recording with bands, and soaked it up like a sponge. It's unfortunate that musicians coming up these days don't get those kind of opportunities, so I'm trying to write up and pass along what I learned while I still can.

• Like 1

On 6/19/2022 at 10:14 PM, Anderton said:

I'm pretty old, so I've had the opportunity to learn a lot :)  I was also lucky to see world-class engineers at work back in the 60s and 70s when I did studio work and recording with bands, and soaked it up like a sponge. It's unfortunate that musicians coming up these days don't get those kind of opportunities, so I'm trying to write up and pass along what I learned while I still can.

Hi Anderton,

Thank you for all the knowledge and capabilities you are able to share with us.

I am so impressed with your dedication and generosity in this field of audio engineering and music production.

You are truly a source of inspiration to all of us.

Thank you for all that you do!!!

Respectfully,

Rene

• Like 1