Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anyone Remember What a Reel of 2" Tape Cost Back in the Day?

I'm doing research for an article, and frankly, back in those days I worked in studios - I didn't run them. So I don't really remember how much is cost to buy a reel of 2" tape fora  24-track. Anyone?

This would be in the late-ish 70's. Maximus Studio in Fresno had two 24 track Studer-Revox running 2" tape. 
I wanted to record there so I inquired. Tape was $245 per reel. Studio time cost $90 an hour, that doesn't seem to have changed much but tape has gotten more expensive. 

Taking into account that you need to be firing on all cylinders to record on tape, it was more than I could deal with. A HUGE part of the joy of digital for me is the lack of pressure, you can just fire up your gear and throw down tracks whenever you feel like it, keep what's good and keep on a goin'!

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Thinking on it, that $245 reel was good for around 22 minutes at 30 ips or 44 minutes at 15 ips. 

That same $245 will get you a large hard drive, hours of multi-tracking and you don't have to calibrate, clean and otherwise maintain tape machines. 

I think the $245 number makes sense as the "retail" charge. They would keystone their cost which might have been closer to $125.

Billboard did a retro on materials during the binder crisis.

full link:

https://books.google.com/books?id=tQ0EAAAAMBAJ&lpg=RA1-PA124&dq=cost ampex 2in audio scotch reel 1970s&pg=RA1-PA124#v=onepage&q=cost ampex 2in audio scotch reel 1970s&f=false

tape-1999-billboard.png

12 minutes ago, spokenward said:

I think the $245 number makes sense as the "retail" charge. They would keystone their cost which might have been closer to $125.

Billboard did a retro on materials during the binder crisis.

full link:

https://books.google.com/books?id=tQ0EAAAAMBAJ&lpg=RA1-PA124&dq=cost ampex 2in audio scotch reel 1970s&pg=RA1-PA124#v=onepage&q=cost ampex 2in audio scotch reel 1970s&f=false

tape-1999-billboard.png

Yeah, that makes sense. Of course, the studio would only use the tape that they had control over, you couldn't bring your own. 

Considering what the heads cost on two 24 track machines I can't say as I blame them. 

On 6/3/2022 at 5:06 PM, Anderton said:

Thanks, Phil. Hard drives and SSDs sure are cheaper, aren't they? :)

And they sound better, too. :duck:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI