Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Mike Campbell teaches "American Girl"

Mike Campbell is one of those guitarists like George Harrison and Mick Ralphs (from Bad Company).  They're not flashy, they don't play 1,000 notes per minute, they just play all the right notes in all the right places, and sound great doing it.

• Like 6
I rock; therefore, I am.

1 hour ago, Sharkman said:

Mike Campbell is one of those guitarists like George Harrison and Mick Ralphs (from Bad Company).  They're not flashy, they don't play 1,000 notes per minute, they just play all the right notes in all the right places, and sound great doing it.

Pretty safe to add BB King, Steve Cropper and Keith Richards to that list too. 

Edited to add Jesse Ed Davis, I saw him with the Taj Mahal Band a long time ago. Fabulous player.

And, a bit flashier but no less tasteful and creative - Elliot Easton from the Cars.

• Like 3
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I loved American Girl when I first heard it in the movie Silence of the Lambs in 1991.  I knew it was released in the 70's (i.e., 1976) and it never really caught my ear (but should have) until the movie scene.  Great tune and great info in the YT OP, for any band wanting to cover the song.  😎👍

• Like 2
Take care, Larryz

10 hours ago, surfergirl said:

I have 4 Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers cds + my mother has The Concert for George dvd. This my favotite Tom Petty song. Mike's solo at about 2:00. is one of my favorites.

https://youtu.be/AP9nassRt2Y

Nice. Great song. Could've been a Country song!

Have you checked out Mudcrutch?

• Like 2

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _