Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Guidance - Nylon / Classical tuning machine noises

hi, I am searching for your guidance and wisdom here.

I have an inexpensive Chinese-made Classical guitar. It is kind of pretty, it is very light and it rings for days.

That resonance aggravates a noise from the tuning machines. It is a rattle that turns to a buzz from the decorative sleeves. I am attaching a photo. 

The space is constrained. What do you think would work to silence this?  Thanks!

Valencia CG_LTD2-tuningmachinesHiLited.jpg

My guess would be loose screws.  I would check to see if all screws are snug with the right size Philips head for the wood screws, tuner screws and hopefully screws at the top of the tuner keys.  Not overtight just snug and try it again...😎

• Like 1
Take care, Larryz

Purchase a small tube of powdered graphite dry lubricant - the last tube I bought was labelled "Hobby Lube". It's great for keeping all locks in smooth operating condition as well, never use a liquid lubricant for locks.

Wait until it's time to change strings. Remove the old strings. Puff some graphite onto a Q-tip and spread it into the holes in the headstock for the tuning machines, both the ones on the center part of the headstock and the sides. Smear some graphite on the barrels that the strings are attached to, the ends and the area near the base of the tuning machines - the contact areas with the wood. You can use a liquid lubricant on the gears, put it on the worm gear - the one that is connected to the tuning peg. 

Put a small drop of lubricant on the areas where the bracket on the tuning plate contacts each end of the worm gear. 

Put the new strings on, tune the guitar (this can take a while with nylon strings) and then tighten the screw at the end of the tuning button as tight as it can be without making it hard to turn the button. 

If that doesn't fix it, get new tuners. Keep the old ones to put back on if you ever get another guitar you like and want to use the tuners you bought on it instead. 

• Like 1
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

9 minutes ago, spokenward said:

Thank you! Screws. The screws that hold on the knobs were in fact looser than they needed to be. That's about 85% of the issue. So, the changing season probably set this off. I will check lubrication next time I change the strings. 

I see that I forgot to mention that you will need to remove the tuning machines after taking the strings off. Good luck!!!!

• Like 1
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

If those "decorative sleeves" beneath the buttons on the tuners are still rattling even after tightening the screws on the buttons to snug them up, try something like a small amount of (non-adhesive" Teflon plumber's threading tape wrapped around the shaft underneath them (I assume they slide off if the button is removed); put on one wrap or so, pulled tight so that the Teflon tape stretches and stays in place, carefully slide the sleeve over it, reinstall the button and tighten the screw. Don't over tighten it, though, "finger tight" snug will do.

• Like 1

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

4 hours ago, Caevan OShite said:

...try something like a small amount of (non-adhesive" Teflon plumber's threading tape wrapped around the shaft underneath them (I assume they slide off if the button is removed); put on one wrap or so, pulled tight so that the Teflon tape stretches and stays in place, carefully slide the sleeve over it, reinstall the button and tighten the screw. Don't over tighten it, though, "finger tight" snug will do.

Thanks, that's a good thought. I think I have it settled now. The end screw on the tuning button is doing more work than I understood. I have them all backed off to a light finger tight, still that winds the sleeve into the nylon washer. Any irregular sleeves can be rotated into a snug fit.  

• Like 4

Looks like a set of Córdoba ebony button machine tuners.  If it’s a Córdoba contact them. Their support is great.  

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt