Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Please recommend me a EP/synth

agent4125

Hi,

I have a midi keyboard set up for use with Cubase, but obviously it requires I need my computer booted up to be able to use it.

I'm after either a nice electric piano or synth that I can just switch on and play immediately.  Primarily for just improvising/noodling, but also to practice piano (I'm taking lessons).

Ideally I'd be after something with: -

- hammer/weighted keys

- no more than 76 keys (due to space limitations), but minimum of 61 keys

- integrated speakers

- some nice piano and synth sounds (I love 70s/80s synths), the more sounds the better to help composition inspiration

Cheers all for any recommendations.  Interested in hearing both cheap/mid-range and expensive options.

Thanks!

Kind of a rare bird, a sub-88 key hammer action board with speakers.

On the lower end, there's the Yamaha P-121. It does not have the range of sounds you want, but you could also add an iOS device for that, and I believe the P-121 will let you not only trigger those sounds, but also hear them back through the keyboard's own speakers, so that could work.

On the higher end, there's the Korg SV-2S which is available in a 73. Lots of sounds, lots more functionality than the P121, better feel (somewhat subjective). Not quite "switch on and play immediately," there is some bootup time. I'm going to say maybe around 30 seconds? But I tried it a long time ago, I'm not sure.

I'm pretty sure those are the only options that meet your specs.

• Like 1

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

While not exactly a pro-keyboard the Roland Go:Keys is a fun little keyboard that has wonderful sounds and is a joy to play. I only sold mine because at the time I had way too many synths and keyboards and I bought it mainly for my daughter who wasn't interested in it. But I guarantee you, all the sounds there are very good, especially taking in mind the low price. 61 synth-keys, very portable, can run on batteries, relatively good speakers for personal use.

• Like 1

If you're taking piano lessons and want to practice, I'd recommend shoving whatever out of the way and making the space for an 88.  It will only add 6 or 7 inches and is worth making room for.  Then I'd look at what Casio has to offer for a balance of sounds/speakers/price and a decent action.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, agent4125 said:

If you want to stick with 76 keys, another (simple) approach is to buy something without external speakers, and use external amplification (home stereo, Bluetooth speaker with analogue in, pair of old PC speakers). That opens up things like the Yamaha CP73, Nord Electros etc.

Personally, I would go with a Yamaha P121, an iThing with GarageBand, Korg Module, or that new Numa app, and a single USB cable.

Cheers, Mike

• Like 1

76-keys is going to drive your costs UP not save you anything vs. 88, if you want a weighted piano action, which I would recommend if you're seriously taking piano lessons. For the most cost-effective weighted piano action with built in speakers, my go-to recommendation (for a new keyboard) these days is a Casio CDP-S150. It's a decent weighted action for the price, and you can expand via MIDI to your computer/tablet for all the sounds you desire for "noodling".  Adding speakers to a tablet/computer can be done very cheaply with a set of "computer speakers" off of Craigslist or your local thrift store. That will get you about the same sound you'll get from built-in keyboard speakers anyway. 

Lou

• Like 1

On 3/12/2022 at 10:40 AM, Doerfler said:

none of the above have integrated speakers

Korg SV-2S absolutely has speakers, that's what the "S" stands for. I've been eyeballing that one for a while now, it's gorgeous. Could easily be my "board for everything for a small gig". But it's a $2400 board, and we're throwing in $200 Go:Keys into the mix, so this is a big spread!

But I agree with most here, if you ditch the 76 key requirement you're going to have A LOT more choices. Otherwise, ditch the hammer-action requirement and you're going to have a lot more options too. What you're asking for is a very rare beast. In fact, the SV-2S is possibly the only board that ticks off ALL those boxes. Go:Keys/Piano aren't weighted, though the Go:Piano has a decent non-weighted keybed.

Frankly, I would put the keybed of the Casiotone CT-S300 above the Go:Keys. I tried them side-by-side along with a Go:Piano, and my feeling was:
Go:Piano > Casiotone > Go:Keys. I feel like Roland really scraped the bottom of the barrel to give people an incentive to pay for the betterGo:Piano.

• Like 1

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

Hey all, thanks for the help.  I've decided after some deliberation to sell my midi controller keyboard, and replace it with something that has its own sounds but can also be a midi controller.  I'm looking at the Nord Stage 3, that looks amazing and seems to have a nice keybed too.

By foregoing built-in speakers, you open up a bunch of other possibilities, and yes, that would be a nice one!

• Like 1

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

23 minutes ago, agent4125 said:

Hey all, thanks for the help.  I've decided after some deliberation to sell my midi controller keyboard, and replace it with something that has its own sounds but can also be a midi controller.  I'm looking at the Nord Stage 3, that looks amazing and seems to have a nice keybed too.

If you can afford a Stage 3, it's a great choice. Make sure you're happy with the keybed. The hammer-action TP100 has its fans and its haters.

Cheers, Mike.

• Like 1