Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ideas for decent controller with sounds for keyboarding and arranging lab

Hey all,

I'm looking for a good quality 61k affordable (will probably be purchasing 25 of them) keyboard controller (USB) with onboard sounds.  Years ago, when I first started teaching these types of courses I went with a Yamaha PSR 225GM - they were great.  Built well, lasted a long time, never an issue with one.  Not a single one.  Since then, I've used mainly m-audio controllers.  They come and go.  Simply don't last.  The USB port on them always fails from plugging/unplugging.  Faders and buttons stop working and I tire of the dependency on software for sounds when just needing them for keyboarding.  So I am back to looking at models with sounds onboard - a good piano sound with velocity sensitivity is most important.  

Just did a quick search on sweetwater:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PSRE373--yamaha-psr-e373-61-key-portable-arranger

This looks like an option.  

Any other ideas?  

Thanks!

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Check out what Casio offers. Nothing wrong with Yamaha, of course, but Casio has been on a trajectory over the past several years of better sounds and improved construction, while keeping prices under control. Not all of their keyboards have USB, but in the under-$200 range, the CT-S300, CT-S200, and LK-S250 (with lighted keys) have MIDI I/O via USB. Some of them come in different colors, if that matters.

I've had a Casio XW-P1 (sadly, no longer available) for years. Initially I was concerned over how its plastic construction and rubbery buttons would hold up, but it's been fun & flawless. My CGP-700 (also no longer available) is in theory a digital piano, but its sequencing capabilities and variety of presets have essentially elevated it into being my "Studio C" for songwriting. Casio makes good stuff.

• Like 1