Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

forScore for macOS available now

ElmerJFudd

In case you missed it, which I did, but was just wondering about it recently so I went to see if it was available... and it is. The developer of forScore has put in the time to bring it over to macOS 11 or better and adapted the GUI for track pad/mouse.

https://forscore.co/mac/

"forScore for Mac isn"t a separate app, it"s a universal purchase: buy once to install and run on all supported platforms. From the smallest iPhone to the expansive iMac and beyond, forScore scales beautifully and makes the most of each form factor."

My first thought was, well - it would be useful if one prefers working on macOS to use a scanner, create sheets, build and organize set lists, libraries, etc. Or, if you have an iMac with a huge monitor, it might be great at home to mount it over your piano or keyboard setup. Some of those screens are big enough for two page at a time side by side reading.

Apple doesn't have a laptop that flips into tablet, nor do they have a touch screen mac (although macOS works with touch screens). And relatively few Apple displays since the iMac with the stainless steal neck flip into/support portrait mode (although I'm certain many 3rd party ones do).... which makes me wonder...

If I have a Mac - Mini for example - running at least macOS 11 that I'm already using for MainStage or GigPerformer - maybe skip the iPad and look for a touch screen that does portrait mode.

Just some thoughts. Maybe Apple will at some point release a touch screen MacBook Air that folds into tablet and that will be that.

• Like 1

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I've been using ForScore for on the Mac for about a year now. It is so much nicer to organize my sheet music library on a desktop with a large screen. They added a feature to sync between the MacOS and iOS devices using Apple's iCloud. That feature works very, very nicely.

But I'm old school, and I'm wary of things that automatically do something for me. After re-organizing my sheet music library on the desktop version, I saved a "Master" library in iCloud. That way whichever device I use, I download the "Master" and if I make any significant changes, I can export the library as the "new Master" back to iCloud. It's manual, but easier to keep track of the "current" library.

• Like 1

I love Forscore on my iPad, it"s a terrific solution for charts, look fwd to checking out the Mac app. Q: does the sync across devices only work with iCloud, or can you utilize other cloud services like Box/Dropbox/Google?
  • Like 1

local: Korg Nautilus 61 AT | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer | 16" MBP M1 Max

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

I also love ForScore, it’s the best thing since sliced bread.  It has changed my live playing (for the better).  Just FYI.

Ludwig van Beethoven:  “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”

My Rig: Yamaha MOXF8 (used mostly for acoustic piano voices); Motion Sound KP-612SX & SL-512;  Apple iPad Pro (5th Gen, M1 chip);  Apple MacBook Pro 2021 (M1 Max chip).