Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Controller With Lighted Key Zones

Cabo

I tend to use a lot of zones in Mainstage and I find I'm always guessing as to which part of the keyboard each zone covers.

There's a few midi controllers out there that have lights that that indicate where the splits are right above the keys (like Novation 61SL MkIII), but they seem more geared toward studio use. Has anyone used these live with success? It seems like it would be a great feature to be able to see where the splits are as you are playing.

Yamaha Montage M6, Nord Stage 4 - 88, Hammond SK-Pro 73, Yamaha YC-73, Mainstage, Yamaha U1 Upright

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I use a Novation SK mkIII; i used it with MainStage, Logic and Ableton Live (testing things) in the studio and in rehersal. I cannot say anything about being able to survive in a tour :), but i am especially happy about the light scheme, each color correspond to a zone. If you use a consistent color scheme, it helps a lot knowing what you have and where the zone are.

I personally use a color scheme for my compositions in Logic Pro (things like: red for the leads; green for pads or pad like sound; blue for piano and tuned percussion instruments, yellow for drums and percussions) so it was natural to adapt it to the SL, so you know where your sound ares.

What i wasn't finally happy about is that at the end, controller, laptop, audio interface, laptop power adapter, cables, gig bag all together weight 11.5 Kg, that is a not a lot less then my NE5HP, and i was looking for a lightweight rig; but that is another story.

Maurizio

Nord Wave 2, Nord Electro 6D 61,, Rameau upright,  Hammond Pro44H Melodica.

Too many Arturia, NI and AAS plugins

http://www.barbogio.org/

https://barbogio.bandcamp.com/follow_me