Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A capo particularly excellent for bendy Blues and Rock

I don't use a capo too often, but I might more often now... Years ago, Elizabeth had given me a beautiful Thalia capo for Christmas with visual cues (chrome, Teal Angel Wing inlay) and a 12" fretpad-radius to really nicely match my Les Paul. It is quite excellent overall- perhaps the best capo one could get, really.

With Thalia capos, there's no need to fuss with getting the capo just-so, just clap it on between the frets and you're good to go. They're also very easy to get the hang of for rapid moving from one position to another with one hand while playing, up and down the neck, better than the Kaiser or any other capo ever. It seems odd at first to put it on the neck from below, from the treble-side, but one gets used to it and it works best that way.

Now, OF COURSE, I also just recently got a new Thalia capo to match the appearance and radius of my upcoming Tele build- black chrome, black ebony inlay with a pearl lightning bolt inlay and lightning bolt/circle emblem on the sides, and a 10" radius...

The capo came with two sets of fretpads, hard-ish rubber, one "Normal Tension", the other set tall "High Tension"; they fit the capos as inserts, interchangeable for different radii and materials. I also ordered a set of 'Normal Tension' hard Teflon fretpads, with an extra one with a 12" radius for my Les Paul, and...

Wow! These are amazing! I can do the wildest bends that I'm capable of, and the strings slide and glide sideways to and fro beneath the capo's Teflon fretpad, returning to tuned-pitch just fine. And the Teflon fretpads actually yield a brighter, clearer, more open tone than the rubber fretpads, whether those on Thalia capos, or on others. How cool! A total Win-WIN for both my Les Paul AND the as-yet-to-be Television axe...

A capo particularly excellent for bendy Blues and Rock, for sure- most likely far better than any other, ever.

I highly recommend these, both the Thalia capos themselves, and the available Teflon fretpads.

2041.gif.929ca4266ded83f012adf46eaf9ef94e.gif

2042.thumb.jpg.aef65bffdda362d82a62099bcb82b480.jpg

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't use a capo too often, but I might more often now...

Wow! These are amazing! I can do the wildest bends that I'm capable of, and the strings slide and glide sideways to and fro beneath the capo's Teflon fretpad, returning to tuned-pitch just fine. And the Teflon fretpads actually yield a brighter, clearer, more open tone than the rubber fretpads, whether those on Thalia capos, or on others. How cool! A total Win-WIN for both my Les Paul AND the as-yet-to-be Television axe...

I'm not a capo user but I appreciate the recommendations and info. One thing I have noticed is now there are a lot of capos on the market with combined tuners. I think this is a great idea for capo users as string tuning should be checked each time the capo is moved up or down the fretboard IMHO. It's good to know that the Teflon pads improve the the "to and fro" string sliding. Many capo users do not hear the difference in string tuning when moving the capo and feel the tuning is good enough without checking it. I have a friend that uses at least 13 tunings on 3 different guitars when he plays out. He is one of the few I have ever seen check tuning each time he moves a capo which I think is a really great idea. He uses a clamp on tuner and knows the strings will move even when clamped by a stock capo. Now they make capos and tuners combined so tuning can be even more accurate at each capo location. Anyway, just a thought and thanks for the info! :thu:

Take care, Larryz

I'm not a capo user but I appreciate the recommendations and info. One thing I have noticed is now there are a lot of capos on the market with combined tuners. I think this is a great idea for capo users as string tuning should be checked each time the capo is moved up or down the fretboard IMHO. It's good to know that the Teflon pads improve the the "to and fro" string sliding. Many capo users do not hear the difference in string tuning when moving the capo and feel the tuning is good enough without checking it. I have a friend that uses at least 13 tunings on 3 different guitars when he plays out. He is one of the few I have ever seen check tuning each time he moves a capo which I think is a really great idea. He uses a clamp on tuner and knows the strings will move even when clamped by a stock capo. Now they make capos and tuners combined so tuning can be even more accurate at each capo location. Anyway, just a thought and thanks for the info! :thu:

I hadn't even noticed that there were any combination capo/tuners- I didn't know that there was any such thing! Largely 'cause I'm well set for a tuner (ffffffffrrreeeaakin' LOVE my StroboStomp HD- besides being a FANTASTIC tuner, it's FINALLY a tuner-pedal with a BIG enough, BRIGHT and vivid enough display that I can actually read it in sunlight! That issue used to drive me NUTS... ) That's cool.

I always had to at least fiddle-about with placing a capo just-so on the back-edge of a fret to keep from it making the guitar go a little out of tune, often tugging a little on the strings or even having to fine-tune again JUST FOR THE DAMN CAPO. Then, take the capo off- and RE-re-tune... ! Ugghh...

I bet your friend would LOVE a Thalia capo with their optional Teflon fretpad. They also make taller "High-Tension" versions of both rubber and Teflon, and recently introduced a special "OctaveTouch" fretpad for 12-String and Baritone guitars. All of these are interchangeable on their capos, and also available in numerous radius sizes.

I hadn't even noticed that there were any combination capo/tuners- I didn't know that there was any such thing! Largely 'cause I'm well set for a tuner (ffffffffrrreeeaakin' LOVE my StroboStomp HD- besides being a FANTASTIC tuner, it's FINALLY a tuner-pedal with a BIG enough, BRIGHT and vivid enough display that I can actually read it in sunlight! That issue used to drive me NUTS... ) That's cool.

I always had to at least fiddle-about with placing a capo just-so on the back-edge of a fret to keep from it making the guitar go a little out of tune, often tugging a little on the strings or even having to fine-tune again JUST FOR THE DAMN CAPO. Then, take the capo off- and RE-re-tune... ! Ugghh...

I bet your friend would LOVE a Thalia capo with their optional Teflon fretpad. They also make taller "High-Tension" versions of both rubber and Teflon, and recently introduced a special "OctaveTouch" fretpad for 12-String and Baritone guitars. All of these are interchangeable on their capos, and also available in numerous radius sizes.

I'd be interested in a 12 string capo that actually worked.

It's a hard and fast rule of mine to never use a capo for live work. I don't need one as a result, I can play and transpose in any key lickety split, it's all just patterns in the end.

Our singer does use one occasionally, it doesn't disrupt the show much.

That said, I'm all in for using a capo in the studio, sometimes it's just the right way to do it. I have a D'Addario that has a thumbscrew to adjust the tension to just as much as you need and no more, I like it a great deal.

Peterson tuners are the BEST, still using my trusty Peterson VSII for all tech and studio work, it's spot on and works great after almost 20 years.

I do have a tip for you - get a Boss TU-10 for a backup tuner. It is easy to see indoors and VERY easy to see in bright daylight, the only clip on tuner I know of that is worth one crap for visibility. I have 2 of them, love 'em. https://www.boss.info/us/products/tu-10/

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Caevan, The combo tuner/capo is fairly new. They get good reviews but not all of the bugs have been worked out from some of the comments I have read on them. My buddy plays bottleneck slide style which is the reason for his many tunings. He lost all 3 of his irreplaceable guitars in a forest fire in Paradise California a couple of years ago. All he had time to pack was himself and his little dog. He came down to stay with my other buddy who loaned him his acoustic. I gave him a new snark tuner in the box and my capo LoL! Anyway if he ever decides to replace the one I gave him, I'll tell him to look into those Thalia capos with the Teflon fret pads... :cool:
Take care, Larryz

I've never owned or used a,capo, but I have been considering trying one. I'd probably start with something a little cheaper. Maybe a Dunlop or D'addario. Thalia does have a 10% discount on their website, but still more than I want to pay until I know if I'd get enough use out of one.

Although sometimes saving money doesn't really save money. I wish I bought a Peterson Strobe Tuner instead of a Boss.

Jennifer S.

I've never owned or used a,capo, but I have been considering trying one. I'd probably start with something a little cheaper. Maybe a Dunlop or D'addario. Thalia does have a 10% discount on their website, but still more than I want to pay until I know if I'd get enough use out of one.

Although sometimes saving money doesn't really save money. I wish I bought a Peterson Strobe Tuner instead of a Boss.

Yeah, it's that inescapable reality - Buy Nice or Buy Twice. Been there, done that, still haven't completely figured it out.

I have a few capos from buying guitars with gig bags and there is still stuff in the bags. The Shubb, Dunlop and D'Addario will all get you there. You will have to retune every time you capo and every time you un-capo. I have a scalloped fretboard on my gig guitar, a capo would be a disaster. Fun at home on an acoustic guitar though, lots of fun. Try the 5th fret, a "G" chord shape will give you a Chord and it sounds beautiful, especially if another guitar plays in C without a capo. I love capos, just chose my battles.

I took another look and my current favorite capo for studio use is a Planet Waves (D'Addario) NS Pro.

NS is Ned Steinberger. It has a simple thumbscrew that allows you to adjust the tension to the neck and strings that you are using. I find I still need to touch up the tuning before and after.

If I am stretching strings, there is no capo. I use them for making chimey chord sounds for recording. It sits at home, always. I never take a capo to a gig.

I"m an old creature of habit. Shubb capos for banjo, electric guitars and guitars with crown. Because that is what I do. ð

I use Shubb square neck Dobro capo. If you have never seen a dobro capo google it. That is an interesting contraption.

For nylon string guitars I will use Kyser because it"s handy and works. I really like those cheap Dunlop capos with the black plastic lever and nylon strap and the slotted metal bar thingy. I had a traditional cejilla but they are a pain in the keister. Classical and Flamenco guys still use those pretty much exclusively. I"m all for tradition but not with capos.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Replying a good five EIGHT days late, after having been temporarily unable to post here... )

I've never owned or used a capo, but I have been considering trying one. I'd probably start with something a little cheaper. Maybe a Dunlop or D'addario. Thalia does have a 10% discount on their website, but still more than I want to pay until I know if I'd get enough use out of one.

Try, say, a Kyser or Dunlop Trigger capo, or one similar to those- they're nice, not terribly expensive, allow for easy one-handed use. If you have any trouble with it holding all the strings down evenly enough and/or making the strings sound a little out-of-tune, try carefully placing it just barely over the back-side of the given fret, and give it a little 'wiggle' to let the strings settle-in.

If you find that you wouldn't use it very often, toss it in your gig-bag or guitar case and clamp it on once in a while.

If you might use it more and more often for various songs and effects ("Here Comes the Sun" by the Beatles, anyone?), one of these Thalia capos could seem like a miracle. The optional Teflon fretpad is amazing in that it allows you to bend notes without the strings getting stuck sharply out-of-tune underneath the fretpad the way they would with a rubber pad; and, I've found that they actually have a brighter, clearer tone, where regular rubber fretpads- including Thalia's- absorb some of your treble. I'd never noticed that until I tried these Teflon fretpads and compared them to the rubber pads!

I am with you there! I had an original, blue first-version StroboStomp VS-S tuner for years; it was getting a bit dodgy- a tiny screw had come loose inside, and fallen out through the battery-hatch, and I lost it, resulting in intermittent ground issues (nothing unsafe, just flickering in the display screen). And, the screen was always difficult to see in some lighting conditions, especially outdoor sunlight... !! I'd resorted to trying to shade it with a box in occasional outdoor, daylit gigs, but that didn't work so well...

NOW I have their latest StroboStomp HD and I love it! Everything about it seems fantastic, but ESPECIALLY its huge, vivid, BRIGHT display! And using its EQU mode to adjust intonation when I do set-up on a guitar, and THEN use its GTR "sweetened" preset mode to tune, it actually makes my guitar sound better... !

Yeah, it's that inescapable reality - Buy Nice or Buy Twice. Been there, done that, still haven't completely figured it out.

I have a few capos from buying guitars with gig bags and there is still stuff in the bags. The Shubb, Dunlop and D'Addario will all get you there. You will have to retune every time you capo and every time you un-capo. I have a scalloped fretboard on my gig guitar, a capo would be a disaster. Fun at home on an acoustic guitar though, lots of fun. Try the 5th fret, a "G" chord shape will give you a Chord and it sounds beautiful, especially if another guitar plays in C without a capo. I love capos, just chose my battles.

I'd be interested in a 12 string capo that actually worked.

You're in luck! Thalia has a new addition, their "OctaveTouch"/High Tension Fretpad- developed to perform well with 12-Sring guitars, whichever orientation they have (octave-string first in a course, or bass-string first.) Specially formulated to mimic the squish of a human index-finger when barring and hold down all twelve strings evenly. They're really bringing A-Game science and R&D to capo designs.

Now, regarding:

You will have to retune every time you capo and every time you un-capo.

I know what you mean- from past experience. First, these Thalia capos do not present that problem- there is no need to retune for or after using it- for real! ESPECIALLY with their optional Teflon fretpads.

And, no fussing about trying to find the 'just-right' way to place it, either- just put it reasonably between the frets and you're done. Their various fretpads can be had in a radius to perfectly match your guitars fretboard, as well, making this particularly easy. If you have multiple guitars with different fretboard radii (radiuses ;) ), that is, curvatures, you can have one Thalia capo, and several interchangeable fretpads with different radius measurements that insert into the capo.

I used to have to carefully place a capo just partly over the back of the fret, and then wiggle it a little to let the strings 'settle in'. This usually worked well enough that I did not need to fuss with tuning, as well as seating the capo well enough that there were no string-buzz issues.

But, again, I do not need to do that with the Thalia capo.

I do agree that there'd be no simple solution to wanting to put a capo on a scalloped fretboard- that just may be asking entirely too much! :crazy::laugh: :grin:

But, what about on a fretless guitar... ?

Hmmm... Fretless scalloped guitar... ? :D:thu: 

You should get a decent capo someday. Something decent without going crazy. I like Shubbs. If you set the tension right they work great and won"t break the bank ... though I might have sticker shock if I needed to replace mine.

It"s not about just playing cowboy chords and open string licks in multiple keys but in real Andalusian guitar literature you can"t hardly play without one unless you are going to do every song in A. It because the way the 3rd chord of the cadence is often played it is voiced to create max tension pulling you to resolve to the last chord. If starting in A the 3 chord is fretted like a 1st position F chord with the B and high E strings open pulling you to resolve to the E. You can finger that chord anywhere else with a capo and play all the cool Phrygian Flamenco runs. It"s must have equipment for Spanish style guitar work.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

But, what about on a fretless guitar... ?

Hmmm... Fretless scalloped guitar... ? :D:thu: 

Fretless scalloped guitar would have high points on the fretboard, which is what frets are. Eventually the strings would wear "troughs" in alignment with their respective position at the nut and the bridge. When those troughs wore through the high points so everything was level, then you would have a Suck-O-Caster and nobody would like it. At least, that's my theory.