Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Two Rare Birds, VMK-149/161 Plus: Have you played them?

uhoh7

I've been obsessing lately.....what else is new?

These are two old studiologic boards, the VMK 149 and 161 Plus (not the Organ)

They are rare as hens teeth, but I have actually found one of each and am wondering if I want to jump through some hoops to get one or even both.

So the 149 plus has the TP8Piano action, which is good by comparison to plastic actions, but really not worth writing to mama? It's in a number of boards on the big list, like the PC3 61 etc. Nobody seems in love. It's such a unique item I should see if I can grab it anyway......from Saint Petersburg OMG, any input from those who have seen one would be greatly appreciated.

the VMK-161 Plus has the graded TP40, which is fine by me. I even love the old TP10. It's super rare in a 61....there was the SL-161, but I think that was TP10. With the SL73 as cheap as it is now, this might be silly, though the VMK plus has many sliders etc. I cannot pin the weight down, but I fear it's over 30lbs, way past what I had in mind for it: a hammer action for the couch. But again this one looks in great shape and I love these unusual old things.....by the time I paid to ship it I would not be far off a SL73...also to heavy for the lap. But if anybody has experience with the 161 Plus I would love to hear it.

Merry Christmas to all!

149533.jpg

RT-3/U-121/Leslie 21H and 760/Saltarelle Nuage/MOXF6/MIDIhub, 

SL-880/Nektar T4/Numa Cx2/Deepmind12/Virus TI 61/SL61 mk2

Stylophone R8/Behringer RD-8/Proteus 1/MP-7/Zynthian 4

MPC1k/JV1010/Unitor 8/Model D & 2600/WX-5&7/VL70m/DMP-18 Pedals

Natal drums/congas etc & misc bowed/plucked/blown instruments. 

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems only the 61 is a hammer action. If the 49 uses TP8Piano action, it's not a hammer action, it's whats in a lot of Kurzweils, i.e. the Artis 7 and the 76-key versions of the various PC3 models. It's an abiove average semi-weighted (albeit heavily sprung, at least in Kurzweil's implementation), but doesn't feel anything like a hammer action.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I"ve had a VMK-161 organ for many years now and continue to use it for a B3 controller. There are two aspects that I could never forgive.

The first is that the pedal input jacks are not reliable. Work today, but not tomorrow. Since this is always a second keyboard, I"ve ended up using the pedal inputs on my lower board and patched them in Mainstage.

The second is that the user interface is an immense pain. I still have to read the manual in order to save a patch. And that"s just the start.

If it weren"t for the organ keybed it would have been trash-canned two decades ago.

Awesome replies, thank you for humoring me!

@Elmer I'm a studiologic fan, but not a fanboy. Still have my SL880 from early 90's. For a crappy player I am terribly picky about keys. I'm just not inspired to play as much with, EG the plastic keys on the Roland APro A-500, though of course they can be played very well. Also, my ankles will swell at the piano too long, or standing, so I need some keys I love and can play with my feet up. That's what got me researching...again. My numa C2x will do the job, but 88 is too wide, and honestly, while I like those keys better than the Roland, I don't love them. TP8s on my Virus TI I do love, but it's too heavy for lap. Nectar T4 I nearly love, but it's on loan to my daughter and 49...which I finally am deciding is not quite enough.....unless they were real hammer action. A light hammer 48.....I know many would love one. The 161 has a great bed, but it's as heavy as the Virus TI, I'm pretty sure. Bla bla, you get the idea.

@Scott Thank you, yes that's what I'm thinking too. I wonder how the springs are on that one, I hate heavy springs....my biggest gripe with C2X. They call it semi-weighted, I don't think there are weights. Just springs.

@Morrissey Thank you!! That shows the weights! Jeez the 161 is right on the edge of what I might suffer for hammers......

@PM51 Haha, I hear you. Yours has the TP8O, which I would love to try. I also still must refer to my SL880 manual on a regular basis. I still have the original printed one.

Tonite a seller kicked his price down for me on a NIB Novation SL61 remote (original mk1), and I caved. It's about 13lbs. Some flavor of Fatar TP/9S people like. I hope it will cover the couch. I have a iMac in my bedroom and a old MBP in the living room with MainStage so, I'll just run one long USB for power and MIDI. I nearly fell for the Novation Impluse 61, but keys are not as good.

I will just have to put these two beauties out of my mind. I'm not Jay Leno after all.....

I hate heavy springs....my biggest gripe with C2X. They call it semi-weighted, I don't think there are weights. Just springs.

The weights on a semi-weighted are typically added to the front, just to give it a bit more heft. It's much closer to a synth action than to a hammer action. Here's a drawing of that Fatar action, the weight is under the front lip...

http://www.fatar.com/Disegni/TP_9Piano_dis.jpg

The Novation SL is a nice feeling action for synth/organ stuff, but not something I'd be keen to play piano from. Which is still a significant step up from the low end actions where nothing feels good on them.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Excellent post, thank you. C2X is most remarkable for the organ implementation, and the force required to depress the keys, and hold them down is near identical to my Hammond action, leaving the playing difference to a short pivot point. Perhaps that is why I so much prefer the TP8/s for general playing. I hope some day to see one of the many playable hammer actions in a light case of 48 or 61.

Happy holidays to eveyone!!