Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT:Noah's axe...call me a lyre.

uhoh7

The most advanced instrument available for at least 1000 years, which nobody has understood till very recently:

[video:youtube]

Revelatory video for the history of music performance. The Iliad was sung acompanied by this thing. The lyre has always been portrayed like a primitive harp. I could never understand the obsession with it in antiquity. Every guitar player needs to see this. Just incredible. The Kithara or Cithara.

I found a few more jaw dropping videos on ancient instruments. Understanding these instruments is very recent. They have been long dismissed by tone deaf classicists. But it turns out there is a new wave of musical archeology. Wow.

Horns, you think modern horns are impressive?

Armstrong just fell out of his chair on Mount Olympus.

When you want a great hour, pull this thread up and watch this one, also from the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland:

This is a keyboard forum, naturally cynical on the subjects of strings and brass, so we better not leave out the Roman Organ:

God--I mean Jupiter, what a contraption!

RT-3/U-121/Leslie 21H and 760/Saltarelle Nuage/MOXF6/MIDIhub, 

SL-880/Nektar T4/Numa Cx2/Deepmind12/Virus TI 61/SL61 mk2

Stylophone R8/Behringer RD-8/Proteus 1/MP-7/Zynthian 4

MPC1k/JV1010/Unitor 8/Model D & 2600/WX-5&7/VL70m/DMP-18 Pedals

Natal drums/congas etc & misc bowed/plucked/blown instruments. 

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fantastic!!!!

I've heard some who fear that our current situation with no gigs and venues unable to stay open will send music tumbling down a deep dark hole.

I don't think music will ever go away, until there are no more ears to hear it, there will be music.

Here is a fun list of oldest instruments. There are other fun lists down at the bottom of the page.

https://www.oldest.org/music/musical-instruments/

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Fantastic!!!!

I've heard some who fear that our current situation with no gigs and venues unable to stay open will send music tumbling down a deep dark hole.

I don't think music will ever go away, until there are no more ears to hear it, there will be music.

Here is a fun list of oldest instruments. There are other fun lists down at the bottom of the page.

https://www.oldest.org/music/musical-instruments/

Great point :)

I think we are going to see a whole new crop of virtuosos. Tatum, Parker, so many others told those stories of "shedding" where they honed their chops before venturing to cutting sessions. I won't be one of them, but I have been learning new instruments, and in the process I get the idea many others have been using this isolation to work on their music.

This lithophone from your link is spectacular, obviously the frame is not ancient, but maybe the rocks are :)

Lithophones.jpg

RT-3/U-121/Leslie 21H and 760/Saltarelle Nuage/MOXF6/MIDIhub, 

SL-880/Nektar T4/Numa Cx2/Deepmind12/Virus TI 61/SL61 mk2

Stylophone R8/Behringer RD-8/Proteus 1/MP-7/Zynthian 4

MPC1k/JV1010/Unitor 8/Model D & 2600/WX-5&7/VL70m/DMP-18 Pedals

Natal drums/congas etc & misc bowed/plucked/blown instruments.