Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How to play jazz ballads all alone on a Mojo 61

I am curious about how others do it. I sometimes struggle at an approach to playing a slow jazz ballad on my Mojo 61 all by myself, no other players, no bass pedals, no second manual. It's so different than playing solo piano ballads on tunes such as "A Time For Love". On my Mojo 61, I'll usually use a right-hand setting around 848000000, Slow Rotary On, Percussion Off, C1 Off or On, and play mostly in time around tempo 66 bpm. I'll play single-note ballad bass (828000000) on the left side split of my Mojo 61, while my right-hand plays two note harmony with my right thumb and 2nd finger; meanwhile my right-hand fingers 3, 4, and 5 play melody above.

I don't play the Erroll Garner squabble, I have never been a fan of that sound.

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's how I attempt it:

[video:youtube]

I almost always use a whistle stop to grab their attention, and pretty much play detached since a constant bombardment of sound bores audiences quickly. Dynamics are a key part, as well as accuracy (whereby arthritis doesn't help). Above all DON'T RUSH! They're called ballads for a reason. I also throw in quotes just to see who is paying attention.

Hope this helps.

Jake

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

Dear lightbg, thank you for that performance, I enjoyed it, you play great. That's IK B3X I think and it sounds very nice, eaiser on my ears than my mojo61. Could you tell me what setting your Drawbars, Percussion, C3 and Rotary are at?

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

Hi. I tend to play with drawbars, but that first setting is 80000008. Percussion is all 4 tablets forward, chorus is C3, and Leslie is constant fast/ slow. Note that since B3X is customizable I have tailored it to my personal B3, so it may sound different than stock.

Jake

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

[video:youtube]