Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Electronic Musician Magazine subscription??

Bif_

Does a subscription to EM help support this website in any way?

I subscribed to Keyboard Mag for many years but don't get a lot out of EM. If the subscription helps the endeavor of this website, I'll renew.

Thoughts?

Kurzweil Forte, Yamaha Motif ES7, Muse Receptor 2 Pro Max, Neo Ventilator

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be happy to hear that they were cross-beneficial in some way, but I partly subscribe because it includes elements & writers from Keyboard. Francis Preve is one of the best pals an iPad synthesist ever had! Stephen Fortner's somewhat truncated yet descriptive Roland Fantom review STILL told me most of what anyone serious would WANT to know. Jerry Kovarsky's columns are always useful, even if not directly applicable to me that month. Gino Robair often surprises me, always to my benefit. Those things roll around in my thinking and sometimes add subtle pluses to other means of working.

I miss the 1/4"+-thick magazine of 20 years ago, but its still a pleasure to pore over a new issue. EM was always EM and not Keyboard, so I now learn a few more things about production, inspiring guitar effecting & 'fringe' items like exotic hardware compressors. Reviews of new keyboards & synths are too short for me, but when were they ever long enough for our kind? The reviewers do well within the limited space allotments. I also enjoy the more British slant on interview subjects. I've discovered some interesting artists & smart comments that way.

I tolerate just a few other print magazines because a website can't touch the same place as a copy of Scientific American in-hand. Softsynths rock my world, but I still enjoy having some dials n' sliders. Likewise, I still see real print as being the most holographic, engaging form of input. Screw VR, gimme a new Nick Harkaway novel and four hours to crack the first chapter. :rawk:

"Well, the 60s were fun, but now I'm payin' for it."
        ~ Stan Lee, "Ant-Man and the Wasp"