Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Business question (CD sales)

Hi there. I haven't been around making useless comments lately because I moved and am temporarily on an unbearably slow internet connection.

Soon I will have a website online, and I would like to allow people to send money directly to me to purchase an album. See http://www.floatermusic.com and see how they give Elemental Records' address to send orders directly to.

I make music under the name Veracohr, and I don't want to put my real name there for the ordering address, so I need something to put in place of my name, like "Me Records" or something.

Do I need a business license to create a "Me Records" for the purposes of CD orders? If so, is it expensive? Or is there an easier way to do this other than what I've mentioned? The point here is that I don't want to use my real name for orders.

Thanks!

"And then you have these thoughts in the back of your mind like 'Why am I doing this? Or is this a figment of my imagination?'"

http://www.veracohr.com

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you want to be able to accept checks made out to "Me Records" or whatever, you don't need a business license.

What you need to do is file a "DBA" (which stands for "Doing Business As"), also referred to as a "Fictitious Business Name Statement".

You have to go to city hall (the registrars office) to file the form (which pretty much just says that "Joe Dokes is doing business as Dokes Dry Cleaners"). Then, you have to file a notification in a local publication (newspaper, free weekly, etc.) stating pretty much the same thing.

Then, if after some period of time (30 days I think) nobody complains that they're already using that business name, the name is yours and you can go open a bank account using it. You can then conduct financial transactions using that name including accepting checks.

Signatures can appear at the bottom of your posts. This option may be disabled by the message board administrators at any time, however. You may use UBB Code in your signature, but not HTML. UBB Code Images are permitted.

Archived