Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Fender finally has a new fretless model, and also a 5-string

Mark Schmieder

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/JBassPFLP3TS--fender-player-series-fretless-jazz-bass-3-tone-sunburst-with-pau-ferro-fingerboard

Might be worth checking out. MIM, pau ferro as rosewood is on the way out (new regulations). Some are allergic to ironwood (pau ferro is literally "wood iron" in Portuguese). I like it, having had it on a mid-range Martin acoustic at one point.

The new 5-string passive J-Bass is a surprise as well. I didn't save that link. It's rare that Fender (vs. Squier) offers a 5-string passive bass. The only 5-string Fender bass I've liked is the Marcus Miller model (active, but can be switched to passive with a push-pull knob).

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree. I guess this was the only way to please both camps.

I haven't seen a side view yet to see if one can detect the edges of the lines -- are they painted on, or is there some cutaway, or at least paint along the fingerboard edge?

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Well, I didn't like most of the audio demos of the new series anyway.

I just try to keep an open mind that there might eventually be a fretless bass that I can live with. So far that only happened long-term with the Godin A4 Acoustibass, but ultimately it proved too microphonic for studio recording purposes.

In general, I don't like noiseless pickups. Fender is putting these on more and more models.

I much prefer no lines and dots on the side where the frets would be,

+1 Side dots are easier to see than lines.

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

Yep, it's just too bad that most models put the dots where they'd go on a fretted bass, but it may be because the manufacturers think our brains are wired to interpret them as mid-node.

Archived