Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland A88 discontinued?

studiologic-sl88-studio-midi-controller-341147.jpg

This is $500 anywhere and you can easily get 15% off at most places sometimes 20%. $400. The 100 in here is already better than the A88. You want the wooden 40 which is excellent for AP? then you pay $750-800. Still a couple bills less than that sorry Roland controller.

There is no need for the A88's existence plus rumor has it that now you can't even get parts or schematics for it.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Once again, Im interested in the Grand, not the Studio. Ive also been clear that havent liked any of the TP100s Ive played to date, this is just my personal preference. Im not sure how different this one could be. And for the third time, I only expressed a desire to play the A88 to get an idea of how it felt. Ive played other Rolands that I liked.

If you feel compelled to remark on a persons posts, it might be a good idea to actually read and understand them. And you wonder why youre characterized as a troll.

Yamaha P515 & CK88, Pianoteq, Mainstage, iOS, assorted other stuff.

There is no need for the A88's existence plus rumor has it that now you can't even get parts or schematics for it.

If you're basing that on the "Roland parts" thread, it's that end users can't get parts/schematics, it is not unserviceable as your statement implies. The same is true of many (most?) other brands. (I don't know about Studiologic.)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

51RLqYgixLL._SL1026_.jpg

This is $900 anywhere and you can easily get 15% off at most places sometimes 20%. $750. The 40 here is miles better than what's in the A88. Still a couple bills less than that sorry Roland controller.

There is no need for the A88's existence plus rumor has it that now you can't even get parts or schematics for it unless you own or work in an authorized repair center.

Dedicated controller boards put the control functions up front where as most boards with built in sounds have the controller functions buried and more limited. For guys using laptops/VIs on stage and studio rats with large midi setups, dedicated controller boards may be a better solution. I agree this comes with a price that seems illogical but sometimes people are willing to pay for the best solution for their situation.

phy-k4_4.jpg

I have the GW version with the TP/40WOOD and it feels incredible.

Ill bet it does. I wonder if thats available without the piano engine.

Yamaha P515 & CK88, Pianoteq, Mainstage, iOS, assorted other stuff.

I cannot buy it at all here anymore and since a long time ...

clonk

No dealer I trust here offers it anymore.

I wanted the non-ex version too.

A.C.

Unfortunately, it's not. Interesting story though...the dealer that I purchased it from initially had the engine-less SKU available on their site, so I purchased it. Then I waited...and waited...while THEY waited to hear back from Viscount on what was taking so long to fulfill the order. Come to find out, Viscount never updated their price list to indicate that the wooden action was only available on the EX versions, so the version I bought didn't actually exist. So, Viscount upgraded me to the EX version with wooden action for free. I didn't complain.

I never use the internal sounds, for the record.

Archived