Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

iPad - two apps - one keyboard

donblanco

I guess I knew I would hit this wall eventually. So I want to play something with my left hand (say, an organ sound from Galileo) and something else in my right hand (brass or strings, app not yet known). Ive read a lot of threads about Audiobus and AUM but those apps almost seem like overkill. Maybe Im missing something? I just need to split things out. Also, Ill need to do this for 95% of the songs on my current set list.

What is the easiest (or best) way to handle this?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Possible one of these apps would help:

iMIDI Patchbay

MIDI Bridge

I have used MIDI Bridge and it will accomplish what you are looking to do. Although I'm not sure what support is like since it hasn't been updated since 2014.

This Just In- It looks like MIDI Bridge has an offspring (bigger and better maybe?)

MIDIFire

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am

Either AUM or audiobus are certainly not overkill. I personally use AUM for layering and splitting all the time. Midi configuration, setting keyboard range, etc is childs play. As a bonus, if your sound generation apps support the audio unit standard, then AUM can also save the patch settings within each app. Highly recommended. Large user base, frequent updates, active forum community.

Hi Don -- welcome to the Keyboard Corner! What's your set-up like (controller keyboard, iPad dock/interface (if any). Just curious about these iOS live set-ups.

Keeping it simple so far. Samson Carbon 49 controller. It has a slot for the iPad. It remains to be seen if that works in a live setting. Cheap stand and basic foot pedal. New-ish iPad (5th generation). In-between the older iPad Air and the newer Pro models. Apple lightning-to-USB3 adapter which allows powering of iPad *and* keyboard (via USB). So far this all works at my desk with no noticeable latency, unlike my Win10 laptop.

Just now beginning to piece together apps for sound/midi etc.

I have a Samson Carbon 49 that I use for a very lightweight package with an iPad. Have an iPad 2 and a Mini 2 - the slot didn't work all that well for me.

I mostly use the Mini 2, the Lightning connector doesn't unplug as easily as the older 30 pin connector.

I wind up laying the iPad (in a Griffin Survivor case) down on the Carbon 49 upper right side above the keys. It stays in place, and is easy to touch with a fingertip to change sounds.

Although I have a number of music apps, I use Korg Module almost all of the time, and have setup a screen-full of patches in the User area so that they are easy to change while playing. That way, I can change sounds easily still in the same app.

If you get all of the Module add-ins, you have an astounding variety of sounds - like 700 or so of them. Korg has half-price sales frequently on the add-ins.

Thanks for the comment about the USB 3 adapter, I'm using the older adapter now that doesn't allow powering the iPad at the same time - I'll definitely get one of these (although I've started with 100% battery and played for 2.5 hours, still having about 60% left).

Other apps that I do use include Alchemy Synth (unfortunately, no longer available), AniMoog, Autoharp (I play one), Galileo Organ (2 man + pedals, like the Leslie better in Module), iCathedral Organ, iFretless Bass, Brass, and Sax (3 programs), iSem Synth, Korg iM1, and Waldorf Nave.

I have Sampletank full version, but have removed it from the iPads.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Thanks for the comment about the USB 3 adapter, I'm using the older adapter now that doesn't allow powering the iPad at the same time - I'll definitely get one of these (although I've started with 100% battery and played for 2.5 hours, still having about 60% left).

I think the best thing about having the powering option is for when you start your gig *thinking* you'd be starting at 100%, and have the unpleasant surprise of having less power than you'd expected. You thought it was charging but it wasn't, or someone else unplugged it, etc.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I have a Samson Carbon 49 that I use for a very lightweight package with an iPad. Have an iPad 2 and a Mini 2 - the slot didn't work all that well for me.

Is it the stability or the angle?

Although I have a number of music apps, I use Korg Module almost all of the time, and have setup a screen-full of patches in the User area so that they are easy to change while playing. That way, I can change sounds easily still in the same app.

If you get all of the Module add-ins, you have an astounding variety of sounds - like 700 or so of them. Korg has half-price sales frequently on the add-ins.

I may have to revisit that app. Thanks for the info.

iPad holder - more the stability. Admit that my iPads aren't a perfect match for their design - the iPad 2 without case is a bit thicker than later ones, and the Mini is not only smaller, I always leave it in its protective case, which makes it way too thick.

Their method has a slot, and a couple of formed pieces of rubber. The rubber pieces fit in the slot on the left and right side of the horizontal iPad and are made so as to give stability. It is quite possible that they might work with the right iPad (with no other case). When I tried using it at home, touching the screen to change patches caused the pieces to come loose - this might be because I removed the Mini from case and it isn't as wide as the full size iPad.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

iPad holder - more the stability. Admit that my iPads aren't a perfect match for their design - the iPad 2 without case is a bit thicker than later ones, and the Mini is not only smaller, I always leave it in its protective case, which makes it way too thick.

Their method has a slot, and a couple of formed pieces of rubber. The rubber pieces fit in the slot on the left and right side of the horizontal iPad and are made so as to give stability. It is quite possible that they might work with the right iPad (with no other case). When I tried using it at home, touching the screen to change patches caused the pieces to come loose - this might be because I removed the Mini from case and it isn't as wide as the full size iPad.

Mine is in a thin shell case and I dont use the little rubber pieces

Archived