Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Technical problem! :(

Chewbubba

I'm not sure what is going on, but maybe you guys have some insight with this issue.

I have the Little Mark Tube 800 going through the 104HF cabinet. The signal coming out of the cabinet sounds great - no problems.

BUT twice, the signal coming out of the of the XLR line out (to the board) started "crackling". Even when I wasn't playing, just constant crackling. The first time, I switched the Ground Lift on and off a few times and the crackling quit.

Today, it happened in the middle of a set. Pressing the Ground Lift made the crackling go away, but then I had a ground hum. Pressing it again took care of the ground hum, but the crackling came back. I removed the XLR cable and replaced it, and it still "crackled". I turned the amp off, waited a bit, and turned it back on and it still crackled. I unplugged the power cord and plugged it back in, and it still crackled. Finally, I plugged the amp into a different outlet. The crackling stopped. So I plugged it back in the outlet I was using in the beginning - no crackling. It had stopped just as randomly as it had started it.

Are you guys familiar with any issue like this?

A stiffy somewhere in the city sewer system...

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't think its the amp, normally if there was an amp problem you would hear it in the speaker connected to the amp. However it could be! You need to check all the leads, knobs & sockets to check they are all correct. Maybe try connecting the DI to a recording source or different PA and see if it works or cracks.

Seamy ALB has good ideas. Cables and location (power source at the location) are easy to eliminate by process of elimination.

I'd give a serious look at your jacks that on the amp. First step would be to use a cable that you absolutely know is good, and move it around a bit to see if your movements create the noise. It's also possible it could be a heat issue.

If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

Not on board with the bad power thing. That's from the 1980's, and was more often related to 1960's Fender Bassman amp capacitors that were leaking rather than Bad Power Company or Bad House Wiring.

My money is on a bad XLR cable. With my solo act thing I've been using more XLR's than before the singing bug happened. I've got a set of 4 shorter cables that make for a tidy stage. They work at home just fine. But when I bring them to a gig I get that intermittent nightmare crackly thing. They just don't snap in quite right like my real cables do; it's just not a tight connection. I swap out the offending cable with one that's 15 feet too long, and I'm back in business. And it's at the mic end, not the board end that is the offender.

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

Archived