Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Poolside.

Delta

Post Hurricane Irma here in Florida. We're having our condo unit oceanside completely renovated. Mold issues. It's been a nightmare. Caused by Hurricane Matthew last year. We've been living at my mother in law's house for over a month now, only 15 minutes away, dealing with the contractor, mold remediation and insurance. Lot's of fun. All 6 of my guitars and gear are here at the house. I cleaned the guitars diligently twice. They're all fine in their cases, resting, except my Ovation Celebrity acoustic which I've been playing poolside (hence the title) on a regular basis. Damn, I miss the electronics, as I'm mostly an electric player, but I think I've been making the best out of the situation in that I'm really enjoying playing this one very nice guitar every day and getting back to basics. I've been simplifying my playing and I think I'll be a better player as a result. Just goes to show, I guess, that no matter what the circumstances, you just have to keep playing for the love of it. My Mother in Law often comes out and asks me how I can sit by the pool and play the guitar for hours? I say, because I love it. It keeps me out of the bars, well, at least most of the time. Cheers!
"Let me stand next to your fire!", Jimi Hendrix

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And kudos to you for finding and recognizing the silver lining.

In a situation like yours I might not be so cavalier. The worst I had to deal with in that sense was during a heavy rainfall and due to the city's poorly maintained catch basins, we had water back up in our basement up to the second step. Nothing major lost, just a lot of backbreaking dredging up wet carpeting and some second hand furniture that was no great loss. During the hottest part of the summer of '09. And in other cases I know what a headache dealing with insurance companies can be. Especially homeowner's insurance.

Sounds as if the Mother in law isn't fond of your lazing around all day playing your ax by the pool. ;)

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Fang you likely know but if you get water in the basement think about any electric that might be submerged. I used to train an electric safety class and saw video of someone turning on a switch and as they stepped into about a foot of water and the shock killed them. I had one experience where I made a judgment call and went into a flooding basement to shut down a burst water line knowing the pump for the hot water furnace was near the water level. I was lucky I guess but always think about it. Jim

I thought about all that Jim. It's why I waited until anything electric that was submerged dried out good before turning it back on to see how bad it was affected, like a fridge down there, washing machine, dryer and had a furnace guy come out and check on things in that area. Luckily, the fridge still worked fine and the washer too. And the water heater. WHEW! When they were all initially submerged it blew out a circuit breaker, one that covered a lot of the upstairs circuitry, and I unplugged everything also connected to the circuit before resetting the breaker. I don't mess around too much with electricity. By that I mean I don't take any chances. I figure since they used it as a means of execution, there must be reason to respect it. ;)

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Archived