Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Interesting history lesson: the 45 rpm record

Eric Iverson

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All very true, but...

I was recently on vacation in Puerto Rico (prior to the hurricanes) and for a week didn't have a TV or radio in the house, and I didn't bring any CDs along (though we had one in the car, and there was usually music playing in the restaurants we ate at..

I found that I didn't mind being without a constant input of music (and especially news on TV, which is on a good day a comedy of errors) for a week. Of course, the fact that the people I was with were good conversationalists didn't HURT, LOL.

In other words, it's great to enjoy music, but I don't see why we need to be ADDICTS - there is such a thing as too much of a good thing.

It CAN be a distraction sometimes, especially in those cases where the place that uses music as ambience keeps the volume at a level high enough where it can't be considered ambient anymore.

As we're also bringing up other recording matters, I found, among those old 45s in that old carrying case I mentioned, a few of those "records" pressed (or proccessed) on that flimsy vinyl material like those "records" you'd sometimes find tucked into the pages of MAD magazine and such. They're from the '60's, and one is "Monday, Monday" by The Mamas andThe Papas, and I forget the others as I haven't seen them for a few years. The girl whose case it was father worked for Ford, and they were placed in new automobiles for promotion back then. They have a small hole and rated 45rpm. and someday I migh drag them out and give a listen. Anyone remember those kind of things?

I think they were also occasionally found fastened to the backs of some CEREAL BOXES too.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Yes, I remember those vinyl floppies and had one in a Jazz progression chord book to demonstrate each exercise (I think I still have it LOL!). I suggest that if you do play one, record it if you can onto a CD, flash, or tape. Also put a 33 LP under it to support it while playing it... :cool:
Take care, Larryz

I know I have all the tunes on other sources, so I'll probably just play 'em to see how they sound.

Good idea about supporting them with an LP, but a late friend of mine, an audio accesory aficionado, long time ago suggested using a section of the same stiff paperboard as used in folding new shirts around, cut in a circle the size of the turntable platter and placed ON said platter, which will not only offer support for those "floppies", but work as well as those platter covers supposedly made out of "special" material to eliminate static on the vinyl disc. So I'm covered. ;)

Whitefang

Most turn tables come with a lid to keep the dust out. My last one didn't, so I just left and old Raiders scratched up 33 on the table as a dust cover. I also use it to support that floppy as instructed in the book that it came in. I looked, and yes, I still have it LOL! It is so important to the book which is all about Jazz chord exercises using the Cycle of 5ths that we talked about on the other forum, that if I ever do play it again, I'm definitely going to record it. It's my only copy! :cool:
Take care, Larryz

Er.....

The idea of the paperboard wasn't to keep the dust off, but to act as a sort of "ground" to keep static from building up on the LP. With magnetic cartridges there's a chance for static to occur on vinyl material, which can also be eliminated by using that Discwasher fluid on that special "brush" they have for just a purpose. But using the brush and fluid isn't always needed before every time you play a record.

Whitefang

I er...wasn't talking about your paperboard idea, I was talking about my last two turntables. My older Sony had a plastic see through dust cover on hinges that covered the whole turntable. Since my last BSR turntable had nothing covering it, I used an old 33 Lp to collect dust and it worked pretty well.
Take care, Larryz

OK, my mistake.

So, what happened to the cover of your old BSR? I had an old BSR (the one my buddy converted to magnetic cartridge) that also had a "smoke" tinted plastic cover, but it wasn't on hinges. You had to entirely remove it and then you could set it down anywhere. Got to be a pain sometimes. But anyway....

Back in those times it was usually only the guys with the high-priced "state of the art"(whatever THAT was supposed to mean) sound systems that had turntables that had no hinged plastic covers. And most of those guys just used a scarf or some other appropriately sized piece of cloth to cover them when not in use. ;) And I also wonder, since an old LP would sufficiently cover the PLATTER of your old turntable, what kept any dust from getting down inside of the works? :cool:

Whitefang

I can't remember if the BSR came with a smoke dust cover and if it just bit the dust LOL! (could have been stepped on). But the 33 worked very well for keeping the dust off of the platter. I remember using one of the wife's doilies to cover the rest and/or a scarf or something...I haven't bothered with it in so long and really don't remember. The record is probably still on it LOL! :cool:
Take care, Larryz

Archived