Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

To migrate or not to migrate (Mac guys)

Dave Bryce

Okay...

I'm going to change the computer in my studio from a Mac tower to an iMac. Got a good deal on a refurb 3.2 Quad core i5 from 2015 from Apple. It'll be here Saturday.

The machine I'm moving from is one of the last Mac towers that couldn't go to 10.8 - I can get the exact config if it makes a difference, but I'm not sure it does for the purposes of this discussion.

The tower has a older UAD card in it, and two extra drive bays - one with all my samples, and one that I use to back up the main drive.

I'm going to get a UAD satellite, but I don't have it yet.

Here's the main part of my question: instead of migrating machines, does it make sense/is it even possible to put the tower into FW/Ethernet drive mode and run it from the iMac so I can still use it's hardware? I know I can access the three drives in the tower from the iMac that way, but will the iMac see the UAD card? And if I do a clean install of DP9 to the iMac and open older DP files, will DP9 see the plug-ins in the library on the tower? Or the iLoks in it's ports? My guess is no, but I'm hoping...I am prepared to have to get one of the Thunderbolt dock with mutilple connectors if I need to...

...or should I just use Apple's Migration manager and not worry about this? My tower has a weird memory leak I've never been able to find that I'd love to leave behind if possible. The tower was my work and studio computer for years until I stopped using it for work a while back, and I only want the iMac to be dedicated studio. Migration manager would only get the main drive, though...but that's not a problem - I could migrate the content on the sample drive manually.

Any advice/counsel is appreciated.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Migration works really well for most situations, like normal developers. But since theft of music software is so rampant, the issue that always comes up is anything related to authorizing plugins or PACE/ilok, eLicenser and the like. If you're not dealing with that you can do a migration over Ethernet pretty quickly. Sucks over WiFi comparatively.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

How about VEP? Is that an option?

If I had any clue at all what that was, perhaps I could say... :idk:

dB

My bad. If your current computer is otherwise fine, you could just slave it to the new iMac via VEP, and use it essentially as a node. A lot of film composers work this way. Through VEP, it would basically show up in your DAW on the iMac as any other plugin.

https://www.vsl.co.at/en/Vienna_Software_Package/Vienna_Ensemble_PRO

An older review, but does a good job explaining the basics: https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/vsl-vienna-ensemble-pro

If this seems like a viable option, you could continue to use your UAD PCIe card, and any plugin or VI you have residing on the old system, AFAIK.

However, project data can not be accessed this way, I think. If that is important, and assuming you have a separate physical disk for your project data, I'd take that drive out of the MacPro and put it in a USB enclosure.

local: Korg Nautilus 61 AT | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer | 16" MBP M1 Max

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

How about VEP? Is that an option?

If I had any clue at all what that was, perhaps I could say... :idk:

dB

Since it was going to be one of the things I mentioned, I'll follow up for z. ;)

Vienna Ensemble Pro

Basically allows you to run your other computer as a remote VST host over the network. Works pretty well.

Of course you won't be able to double up your UAD hardware; that all needs to be on your DAW machine.

I haven't explored DP9 yet, but I know Cubase Pro offers the ability to network in VST machines on the network using VST Connect Pro (cf. the Junkie XL studio tour videos on YouTube if you want to drool a lot. :2thu: ).

There are other options to be sure, but those are the first two that come to mind for your specific situation.

Of course you won't be able to double up your UAD hardware; that all needs to be on your DAW machine.

Are you sure about that? I understood that differently. If the old machine is validated for the UAD, I thought they could still be accessed from the master?

Migration works really well for most situations, like normal developers. But since theft of music software is so rampant, the issue that always comes up is anything related to authorizing plugins or PACE/ilok, eLicenser and the like. If you're not dealing with that you can do a migration over Ethernet pretty quickly.

I'm one of those people that paid for Microsoft Office. Nothing on my computer is pirated. I do have some iLok authorized plugs, but I think those should be okay.

dB

Are you sure about that? I understood that differently. If the old machine is validated for the UAD, I thought they could still be accessed from the master?

Yeah, pretty sure UAD won't share processing over the network in this fashion... but now you've got me second guessing that answer, so off to read my documentation! ;)

Yeah, pretty sure UAD won't share processing over the network in this fashion... but now you've got me second guessing that answer, so off to read my documentation! ;)

If I understand VEP correctly, the UAD wouldn't even know it is being accessed over the network, because VEP acts as a local host on the slave machine. But I never really thought about possible caveats...

Basically allows you to run your other computer as a remote VST host over the network. Works pretty well.

When you guys say "run"....

The issue for me would be the plug-ins on the tower. In VEP mode, If I install DP9 on the iMac and open a project that's living in the tower, will it be able to see the plugs on the tower? Don't they need to be in the library of the system that's running? In VEP mode,would I need to run DP8 from the tower through the iMac?

dB

When you guys say "run"....

The issue for me would be the plug-ins on the tower. In VEP mode, If I install DP9 on the iMac, will it see the plugs on the tower? Don't they need to be in the library of the system that's running? In VEP mode,would I need to run DP8 from the tower through the iMac?

dB

No need for DP8 on the slave. You open VEP within DP9 and it syncs to the slave computer; DP9 doesn't know the stuff on the old computer is not local. Through VEP, whatever you have on the old machine appears in the VEP instance within DP9 on the new computer.

So:

iMac > DP9 > VEP (on iMac) > VEP (on MacPro) > plugins/VI's (on MacPro)

[video:youtube]0kKSSpMOHgY

This really would be better done sitting at a nice steak dinner, dB... ;)

Basically you would run VEP on the "remote" machine, and it would allow your "DAW" machine to send MIDI & Audio across the network, effectively making the remote machine act like an extension of your DAW machine. No running of DP8 on the remote, just VEP on both, and it handles the traffic between the two. From your perspective, you just see VSTs.

Check out the Video Demos on the VSL site for more info.

Here's a quick video on YouTube with a guy using DP8 and VEP 5, although he's running it on the same machine, but it'll give you a bit of a peek at things:

[video:youtube]

I don't know about all that other alphabet soup stuff, but I have used the migration manager on a few different machines, and it's wonderful. New machine comes up looking just like the old. The only problems I had were with registering software - some apps were machine-specific and didn't want to be re-registered on a new box. Unfortunately I don't know how to tell which progs fell into that category until after I've tried running them. For some I was able to get a new key from the vendor, but one stupid game I'd have to have bought again... which I didn't. But the migration itself was otherwise flawless.

D-10; M50; SP4-7; SP6

I'm a fairly accomplished hack.

I don't know about all that other alphabet soup stuff, but I have used the migration manager on a few different machines, and it's wonderful. New machine comes up looking just like the old. The only problems I had were with registering software - some apps were machine-specific and didn't want to be re-registered on a new box. Unfortunately I don't know how to tell which progs fell into that category until after I've tried running them. For some I was able to get a new key from the vendor, but one stupid game I'd have to have bought again... which I didn't. But the migration itself was otherwise flawless.

Fully agreed - I've also had great results with the Migration Assistant...this is just an odd situation.

I ended up opting for the migration. I think it's the way to go.

dB

Archived