Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Standalone modulation and pitch wheels.

ap297

I play a yamaha p95 midi'ed to a half rack korg x5dr. Want to control the x5dr rotary speaker effect with a modulation wheel, but sadly there are no pitch and mod wheels on the p95. Any standalone units avaliable? Have thought about a mini key controller with pitch and mod wheels velcroed to top of p95, but cannot find a mini key with traditional midi out jacks.The larger keyed controllers are just too big to velcro to the top panel of the p95....

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Have thought about a mini key controller with pitch and mod wheels velcroed to top of p95, but cannot find a mini key with traditional midi out jacks.The larger keyed controllers are just too big to velcro to the top panel of the p95....

Alesis Q25 maybe?

Or, if you can justify the higher $ for other reasons, some of the Roland Boutique synths (albeit with ribbons rather than wheels).

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Hi --

I think there is a definite need for a product like this -- a micro micro MIDI controller the size of stomp box or smaller. Battery powered to eliminate one more cable draped across the rig.

I've experimented with Arduino and even thought about buying a pitch bend/mod combo as a replacement part from Yamaha, Korg, whoever.

Take care -- pj

Music technology blog: http://sandsoftwaresound.net/

I like the pedal idea. In fact, assuming that you're not playing other sounds simultaneously with the x5dr's organ sound, I wonder if you could program the organ patch in the x5dr to respond to the sustain pedal (MIDI CC# 64) for switching rotary speed. This would have the benefit of being free. ;-)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I looked into the sustain pedal triggering the rotary speed. Unless I misunderstood there a five "sources" to trigger rotary in the x5dr 1)joystick +, 2)joystick -, 3) aftertouch, 4)pedal 1, 5) pedal 2. Seems pedal 1 and 2 are cc# 12 and 13 (not completely sure of the cc#). Appears there is no way for a sustain pedal to trigger rotary (but it is an excellent idea - no additional hardware to drag around.,

I knew that there is a market for something like this, but no one seems to listen. I mean, think of all the possibilities, especially with assignable controller numbers too?

At one point I tried to draw out plans for such a device, but I have no experience with electronics engineering, so that went away quickly.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76| Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT, Kurzweil PC4 (88)

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

The one and only, but unfortunately discontinued,- Yamaha MCS-2 MIDI Control Station.

Hard to find though ...

Desktop MIDI controller units might help.

I have a JL Cooper Fadermaster Pro in use which is still in production.

Assign MIDI CCs to faders and button and connect a switch pedal as well as a continuous controller pedal.

It´s somewhat expensive for your purpose when you buy new, but I won mine in a ebay-auction in good condition for EUR 39,- replaced buttons and it´s like new.

Any other MIDI controller unit w/ physical MIDI I/O will help too and there were and are cheaper ones.

A.C.

Archived