Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

next time we get a series of obits...

d  halfnote

Yeah, kinda odd emoji-icon for the thread, eh ?

Well, I came across this...

... us boomers are dropping like flies LOL!

[Context ? I don't gotta show you no stinkin' context !]

So be like me & LarryZ, laugh in the face of death ! :D

Rock 'n' Roll might not solve your problems, but it does let you dance all over them / Pete Townshend

"The only thing I knew how to do was keep on keepin' on." /Bob Dyl (Tangled Up N Blue)

[video:youtube]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1ZDQUusVYk

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1ZDQUusVYk

d=halfnote

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Zappa going classical and his last live concert were very cool...

Lennon saying he never calls anyone including the Fab 3 members of the Fab 4 (me paraphrasing) was also cool. I have friends that I never call (or at least not too often) too LOL! They always call me. I have one buddy who never calls and if I want to talk to him, I have to call. I think it's part of some kind of chicken pecking order LOL! :cool:

The video of Peter Fond and Bruce Longhorne was the most interesting. I loved Peter doing his John Wayne and reminiscing about the old shed studio. I'm a Dylan fan and Mr. Tambourine Man was definitely inspired by Bruce! Fonda kept referring to Bruce's condition of facing "the big hike". Which is what I remember about my mother's passing not long ago. Laughing in the face of death was more smiling just like Bruce was doing throughout the video. Fonda also finally mentioned his "eyes have joy in them" which is what I was keying on throughout the video. I remember my mom's smiling and her similar facial expressions while watching Bruce on his final resting bed. I can only hope I can duplicate their attitudes when my time to face that "big hike" comes. Peter did an excellent job of comforting Bruce and I loved the swig out of the bottle too! I wish I could have been as good as he was at comforting both of my parents in that same situation.

Like Peter I have faced death and can remember each time it came up (especially during my jungle life in Nam). I really didn't laugh in the face of it at the time, other than nervous laughter at the thought of having just survived another one LOL!

Back to the topic...I appreciate you contacting me before posting in or out of context. The quote was on the other forum with regard to wanting the GP editor to do more in honoring the greats. Like this forum we get tied up in birthdays and obits and us "baby boomers are dropping like flies!" these days. I'm more into the obits than the BD's as I reflect on how much talent is being laid to rest. The greats like BB, SRV, Jimi, etc., deserve a cover story IMHO. And guys like Allan Holdsworth definitely deserve a back pages story IMHO. :cool:

Take care, Larryz

Ya know, I'd forgotten the connection between Lennon & Fonda [basis for "She Said, She Said"]...I included JL for his remakes abt ppl "looking forward" to his death.
d=halfnote

I thought he was talking more about "what if I died?" my buddies would not be complaining about me not calling them, they would be telling the funny stories about me, like the time I put a tampon on my head...That She Said She Said song came out on the Revolver album. I think that one and Rubber Soul are my 2 favorite albums by the Beatles...Baby You Can Drive My Car and Taxman...are a couple of my favorite tunes...It's too bad we lost John at such an early age and George's passing also hit me pretty hard. George is one of my favorite guitar players. He wrote Taxman :cool:
Take care, Larryz

I always LIKED the way we here in these forums would fill multiple pages about our personal thoughts about some particular artist who had died. Kind of like not really LETTING them die.

Like my Grandmother( who died in '93, and my Mom in '99 and who both had their birthdays on this date) often said, and also claimed to have heard it from someone else somewhere......

"You never REALLY die if you're remembered, and remembered fondly." :)

So, all those artists whose deaths were mentioned in this forum the last several years AND those two fine ladies(to ME) have YET to "really" die. ;)

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

I believe the spirit of all our friends and relatives lives on in our hearts and minds forever. And when we die, we are no longer responsible for carrying the torch! Hopefully, our spirits will live on for awhile too! I think us guitar players and music lovers keep many of our greats alive and their recordings and films help us do just that! Now if we can just convince the GP editors LOL! :cool:
Take care, Larryz

While I agree remembering is important, only thing in our world that might live forever is a well-communicated idea.

And sometimes that well-communicated idea is an exemplary life, which lives on through those left behind when the saints in our lives ascend.

Scott Fraser

True dat, SF !

Let's not forget that even out heroes & saints are , or started as, just regular folks, like each of us & also, even at their best, remained, generally, flawed in some ways.

Some visual art, such as Picasso's Guernica, can be powerful but I think music is our best tool for inspiring ppl & doing that communication.

It's message, beyond words, can be global in that we respond, w/ slight cultural differences, to it on an innate basis.

The math of pitch relationships is basic in ways that are both part of universal physics & part of our mentality that goes back before language.

Here's Jimi Hendrix on the power of music, illustrating his point w/ music.

A very well-communicated idea, eh ?

Laugh on, y'all !

[in case y' can't tell, there's been a resurgence of JH vids on YT.

Some of 'em v good.]

d=halfnote

While I agree remembering is important, only thing in our world that might live forever is a well-communicated idea.

And sometimes that well-communicated idea is an exemplary life, which lives on through those left behind when the saints in our lives ascend.

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. - Marcus Aurelius

All the more reason to embrace the friends and family who are still with us. Yes, it's good to remember, but I'm less certain what good it does for those we remember, when they might have liked to see more of us, while they could . . . and we will have more and better memories, as well.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

For full story see = https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2861294/Bruce_Hampton#Post2861294

This is how real mujishines laugh.

Onstage performing surrounded by a gang of their fans, such as Warren Haynes, Derek Trucks & Sue Tedeschi....

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2sfg5gCDF8

d=halfnote

Archived