Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

For You Fellow Synth Programmer Geeks...

Markyboard

What you really have with the Obie 2 voice is 2 independent synths in a common box that allows cross connectivity through patching. Sounds like the Yamaha CS series. This is really crossing into modular territory - and is certainly the case for 2 slim Phattys (or any 2 synths that have external filter inputs.

For the purpose we're talking about, multiple Phattys is not like synths that simply have external filter inputs. If you have two Slim Phattys, the only connection you make between them is a MIDI cable. When you connect the two, you can set it so they behave monophonically (both units tracking the same note) or duophonically (two notes, one going to each Phatty). I believe that, either way, any knob (envelope/filter/oscillator setting) you change on the first Phatty identically affects the second one... but I'm pretty sure you can also independently change any of those knobs on the second one (because while unit 1 sends MIDI out to unit 2, unit 2 does not send MIDI to unit 1). So you'd have two complete independent sets of oscillators/filters/envelopes, which can act either in concert or independently. As to whether this crosses into modular territory, as I said, I'd consider it a kind of hybrid... it's modular in that each set of oscillators/filters/envelopes is in fact a separate Phatty module (which means you can also go beyond two voices), but it's not the kind of system where you can patch (route) any element of the system to anything other than what it's been hardwired to, nor add individual elements (oscillators, filters, etc.) apart from a whole Phatty entity.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As to whether this crosses into modular territory, as I said, I'd consider it a kind of hybrid... it's modular in that each set of oscillators/filters/envelopes is in fact a separate Phatty module (which means you can also go beyond two voices), but it's not the kind of system where you can patch (route) any element of the system to anything other than what it's been hardwired to, nor add individual elements (oscillators, filters, etc.) apart from a whole Phatty entity.

I understand Scott. I was actually thinking "semi-modular" with external audio input before the filter on the second SP and never considered midi. Your suggested approach does yield the effective result I was getting at, one I had never considered. In fact I can do similar with my Poly Evolver and Poly Evolver Racks.

Not bad Scott...not bad at all! :2thu:

Archived