Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Minimoog/Kenton Pro II

Dave Bryce

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A little OT but have any of you tried MOTU's Volta to control a Mini?

Never tried it but it's an interesting idea and should be very versatile. That is once you run several audio outs from your D/A over to where your minimoog and other CV gear is which for me is not very convenient. Plus I really don't want to be bouncing back and forth between the PC and mini. If you set up initially for this way of working then yeah, it might be really cool. I'd also be wary of plugging the audio line into the wrong jack and causing problems; something that's not typically an issue with conventional CV gear.

I use the Kenton Pro Solo mkII with my Mini D.

I route aux so it controls filter and/or amp via velocity.

Works like a charm.

Way cool. :thu:

Which is more fun, filter or loudness?

dB

I would say filter, especially controlled from a weighted board (as Real MC said also)

Better control over dynamics

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer

I use the Kenton Pro Solo mkII with my Mini D.

I route aux so it controls filter and/or amp via velocity.

Works like a charm.

Way cool. :thu:

Which is more fun, filter or loudness?

dB

I would say filter, especially controlled from a weighted board (as Real MC said also)

Better control over dynamics

That'd be what I would figure. Thx!

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got it set up. Works pretty much just as expected. :cool:

Love having a five octave Mini... :D

There's two problems with using a conventional MIDI->CV converter with the Minimoog. One, you must periodically press a key on the Minimoog keyboard; the reason is the keyboard has its own sample & hold that doesn't hold the pitch CV forever, it actually discharges slowly, resulting in off-pitch MIDI notes that go flatter with time. Not a fault, it's a consequence of the original design. So you have to "refresh" the S&H by pressing a key on the Minimoog keyboard. Actually this is true of any analog keyboard that employs a S&H to hold the pitch CV.

Over what period of time, Michael? Mine doesn't seem to lose the pitch. I had to hit the low F on the Mini when I powered up, but so far it's been pretty good...

Remember, mine is modded....so it may not be behaving exactly like a stock unit.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Love having a five octave Mini... :D

dB

I bet. I was seriously considering buying a Voyager XL not too long ago (no, it's not a 5 octave Mini, but it's the closest I could ever get to that). Might re visit that someday, as the itch is not going away. ;)

:nopity:

There's two problems with using a conventional MIDI->CV converter with the Minimoog. One, you must periodically press a key on the Minimoog keyboard; the reason is the keyboard has its own sample & hold that doesn't hold the pitch CV forever, it actually discharges slowly, resulting in off-pitch MIDI notes that go flatter with time. Not a fault, it's a consequence of the original design. So you have to "refresh" the S&H by pressing a key on the Minimoog keyboard. Actually this is true of any analog keyboard that employs a S&H to hold the pitch CV.

Over what period of time, Michael? Mine doesn't seem to lose the pitch. I had to hit the low F on the Mini when I powered up, but so far it's been pretty good...

You should probably refresh low F if you haven't touched it in an hour. Unless your unit was modified... if you press another key on the minimoog then play it over MIDI and it is transposed, then it is stock.

Archived