Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Digital/Stage Pianos with the lightest actions.

UnderGroundGr

Hello.

I have to play almost 11 years a weighted/hammer action keyboard.

I used to play my Yamaha S80 3-4 hours a day at good,old times, without any fatigue. Then i sold it, i bought a Nord stage,i did not like the keyboard action and replace it with a Kawai Mp8.

Great instrument but after a month, i started to have tendonitis problems(it was not only the heavy action of Kawai but some other reasons too).

All these years i played only with synth/waterfall/semi weighted action keys. I am thinking to buy a digital piano again...

I want to tell me, all of you that you own and play digital/stage pianos, the models with the lightest actions...

When i will decide to buy one, i will try to play all available models in Greek stores, but i can not play as much models as all of you, that you live in USA, England etc...

Kurzweil K2661 + full options,iMac 27",Mac book white,Apogee Element 24 + Duet,Genelec 8030A,Strymon Lex + Flint,Hohner Pianet T,Radial Key-Largo,Kawai K5000W,Moog Minitaur,Yamaha Reface YC + CP, iPad 9th Gen, Arturia Beatstep + V Collection 9

https://antonisadelfidis.bandcamp.com

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Try a Casio Privia model, like the PX5-S.

The Greek distributor does not have this model for demonstration. But i can try some other privia models.

Kurzweil K2661 + full options,iMac 27",Mac book white,Apogee Element 24 + Duet,Genelec 8030A,Strymon Lex + Flint,Hohner Pianet T,Radial Key-Largo,Kawai K5000W,Moog Minitaur,Yamaha Reface YC + CP, iPad 9th Gen, Arturia Beatstep + V Collection 9

I believe that all the current 88 key Casios use the same actions as the PX5S, except the CDP models on the low end or the GP models on the high end. It's not the lightest feeling action though.

For a light feeling weighted action, I'd check the Kawai MP7, which I believe is also the same action as the ES7. (There's also a new ES8 but I haven't tried that one yet.) Also the Roland FP80.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

All the models you say are available for demo in kawai distributor here in Greece so i will try them.

Yesterday, a friend of mine, bought for studio use a Kawai ES100. I will visit him and play it. I know that MP7 and ES7 has different, and better, key actions.

I like Kawai digital/stage pianos a lot. Both sound, keyboard feel and build construction.

All the models you say are available for demo in kawai distributor here in Greece so i will try them.

Yesterday, a friend of mine, bought for studio use a Kawai ES100. I will visit him and play it. I know that MP7 and ES7 has different, and better, key actions.

I like Kawai digital/stage pianos a lot. Both sound, keyboard feel and build construction.

I would say that the ES100 is lighter feeling than the Casios, but not as light feeling as the MP7.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

The Nord piano has a light feel, I really like it since it's similar to my upright at home.

On the other end of things, I find Roland to have a very heavy, sluggish action. But again it's just so different to what I'm used to.

I like the "better" Yamaha action (name escapes me) that is in their higher-end home models like the P155/P255 and probably the cp4 and cp5. Also the Kawaii MP11, but I'm not sure it is that light...it just feels "good" :D

On the other end of things, I find Roland to have a very heavy, sluggish action. But again it's just so different to what I'm used to.

There are a number of different Roland actions. As I recall, the ones they used in the FP7, FP7F, FP80 are among the lightest feeling weighted actions. FP4F, FP50, RD64, FA-08 are sluggish.

I like the "better" Yamaha action (name escapes me) that is in their higher-end home models like the P155/P255 and probably the cp4 and cp5.

P155/P255 is their GH action. They also use GH in CP40 and CP50, but NOT CP4 and CP5. CP5 has a very light feeling action, CP4 less so, but still lighter than GH.

If you don't need the full 88 keys, most 76-key stage pianos are semi-weighted -- very light touch, but not as light as most synth actions. I was gigging for the longest time with a Kurzweil SP4-7 as my #2 board and it was great.

D-10; M50; SP4-7; SP6

I'm a fairly accomplished hack.

I don't know. I never found the PX-5s action to be particularly light. I found it somewhat firm but NOT slow. Not particularly light but it is smooth.

The balanced actions in the S90XS and Montage 8 is uniformly light. The MP7 is Cool.

If you really want light you can jump the shark and get a Numa Compact or a Kronos LS. But that is probably going too far.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

To the OP, just a caution: if you are getting tendonitis or other injury from playing, make sure to focus first on your keyboard technique. With good technique, you will adapt to pretty much any weight keyboard action without injury or problems of endurance. Moving to a lighter action will not necessarily solve your issues. Playing should be effortless like walking, not weight-lifting.

Rest your hands.

The way the keys bounce on the Casio Privia PX-360 has helped me avoid a relapse of serious tendinitis. For me personally, these days action and dynamic response trumps piano sound.

Lighter doesn't mean less tendinitis in my case. It's the way the keys behave or respond overall and velocity scale response so that I don't have to overcompensate to get my touch the way I want it to sound dynamically..

I got more sore on the Roland FP4 because of the lack of bounce I overcompensated.... and the Electra gave me the most problems (jumpy velocity scale with strong up spring pressure had me overcompensating terribly). Yamaha P250, P120 action or Clavinova action, or Kurzweil action, no thanks. All gave me tendinitis problems. CP4 is very good though.

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

To the OP, just a caution: if you are getting tendonitis or other injury from playing, make sure to focus first on your keyboard technique. With good technique, you will adapt to pretty much any weight keyboard action without injury or problems of endurance. Moving to a lighter action will not necessarily solve your issues. Playing should be effortless like walking, not weight-lifting.

You are absolutely right. I want to buy a weighted but not too heavy action(like MP8). I want to improve my technique but i can't do that playing with a synth action all this years...

Rest your hands.

The way the keys bounce on the Casio Privia PX-360 has helped me avoid a relapse of serious tendinitis. For me personally, these days action and dynamic response trumps piano sound.

Lighter doesn't mean less tendinitis in my case. It's the way the keys behave or respond overall and velocity scale response so that I don't have to overcompensate to get my touch the way I want it to sound dynamically..

I got more sore on the Roland FP4 because of the lack of bounce I overcompensated.... and the Electra gave me the most problems (jumpy velocity scale with strong up spring pressure had me overcompensating terribly). Yamaha P250, P120 action or Clavinova action, or Kurzweil action, no thanks. All gave me tendinitis problems. CP4 is very good though.

Thanks for your advice !!!

From the replies i was reading, i understand that the expensive models from all companies has better and lighter actions(except the wooden action that i believe will be a little more heavier but overall better and closer to real piano actions..)

I was gigging for the longest time with a Kurzweil SP4-7 as my #2 board and it was great.

+1.

A collateral benefit - the fact that this is NOT a fully-weighted keyboard makes it a relative pleasure to transport too - quite light.

I sold mine as I wanted a fully weighted action, but I found the SP4-7's semi-weighted action very nice to play.

From the replies i was reading, i understand that the expensive models from all companies has better and lighter actions(except the wooden action that i believe will be a little more heavier but overall better and closer to real piano actions..)

Ironically, acoustic pianos with wooden actions are often lighter feeling than many DPs.

My teacher's piano, a wurlitzer upright has the lightest action I've ever played. I could played it for hours...

I wonder why manufacturers don't make the key travel a little less like a concert Steinway grand? The key travel up and down is so much less than something like my Privia and it's so easy to play.

Korg Kronos, Roland RD-88, Korg Kross, JP8000, MS2000, Sequential Pro One, Micromoog, Yamaha VL1, author of unrealBook for iPad.

Ironically, acoustic pianos with wooden actions are often lighter feeling than many DPs.

Yep. My Yamaha C5 grand feels lighter to the touch than my CP4. I do like the CP4 though. But it's hard to beat the feel of a good acoustic.

NY Steinway B, Yamaha C6X

All the actions on the current Privia line is the same. I've had some major RSI / tendinitis issues from computer keyboards and pianos keyboards. The PX-5S was a God-send! For whatever reason, I can play for a long, long time without any issues. I believe Mike Martin stated the late, great Joe Sample had the same experience: the Privia action didn't aggravate his hands / arms.

There's some technique issues to think on here as well. All in the figures tires out your forearms, all in the drop from the elbow is rough on the wrists. Staying loose is important, but having developed muscles is also important to hold all the pieces together. I also never have problems on acoustic pianos, nor most digitals - but everyonce in a while there is a digital action that irks my joints and tendons - why this is (volume to energy input ratio being wrong comes to mind) is hard to say. If you don't play daily, stretching is important and as you get older daily stretching is important. But yeah, getting to play an action for a few sessions is important to me before purchasing. The Casio action is pretty forgiving, the ES-100's action is sluggish to me compared with the ES8 and Casio. The Yamaha P-115 you really have to see if you like it as well. These are pretty popular models - you can find them on showroom floors near a city.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

> The PX-5S was a God-send

In more ways than one. How about carrying it? Fantastic! Will be using it tonight - just one keyboard 88 keys and less than 25 pounds. Thank you CASIO!

Korg Kronos, Roland RD-88, Korg Kross, JP8000, MS2000, Sequential Pro One, Micromoog, Yamaha VL1, author of unrealBook for iPad.

There's some technique issues to think on here as well. All in the figures tires out your forearms, all in the drop from the elbow is rough on the wrists. Staying loose is important, but having developed muscles is also important to hold all the pieces together. I also never have problems on acoustic pianos, nor most digitals - but everyonce in a while there is a digital action that irks my joints and tendons - why this is (volume to energy input ratio being wrong comes to mind) is hard to say. If you don't play daily, stretching is important and as you get older daily stretching is important. But yeah, getting to play an action for a few sessions is important to me before purchasing. The Casio action is pretty forgiving, the ES-100's action is sluggish to me compared with the ES8 and Casio. The Yamaha P-115 you really have to see if you like it as well. These are pretty popular models - you can find them on showroom floors near a city.

:like:

Has anyone tried the new Roland RD-64 to see how heavy/light the action is? Would it be the same action as the RD-800? I'm curious as to what Roland has been doing to improve their keyboard actions. The Roland action I'm most familiar with is the RD-700 NX, which I believe is different from the RD-800.

NY Steinway B, Yamaha C6X

Archived