Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

when didya meet the blues ?

d  halfnote

All of us old "folkies" are WELL aware of Bromberg and his work with a lot of otherrs in the genre like Dylan, Paxton, Sebastian, Jerry Jeff Walker, Tom Rush and Ritchie Havens.

Sure, he is NOT to be ignored! Plays a LOT of instruments too.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
First hearing the blues and getting bit or really recognizing the blues is two different things. I played blues songs in the 70's but did not really think of them as anything but another song. Things like Kansas City, Good Time Charlie's Got the Blues, and Others. I really started paying attention when I got back into playing by studing "Blues You Can Use" a learn to play the blues system about 5 years ago. Jim

Some might call "Good Time Charlie's Got The Blues" country. But Composer Danny O'Keefe comes from the folk arena. And some country artists have "covered" it( Dwight Yoakum and Willie Nelson) but others have too. Like Leon Russell, and even Elvis.

Good tune. One of my favorites. As for genre, I guess some of it might depend on who does the tune. Like "Kansas City".

When Leiber and Stoller wrote it WAYYYY back, it was considered "Rhythm and Blues". In '59, when Wilbert Harrison did it, it was still R&B, but when The Beatles did it, it was a ROCK'n'ROLL tune. And Trini Lopez made it a FOLK tune! ;) As at the time he was considered a folk artist.

Back in the mid to late '60's, the first "blues" tune most suburban white kids learned to play was "Rock Me Baby" ;)

Whitefang

My first exposure was a song by Big Bill Broonzy, "Evil Hearted Me" on an album I bought when I was 10, in 1963.

What led me to really like blues was hearing Clapton and Hendrix a few years later, and loving their blues playing, which led to checking out Paul Butterfield with Bishop and Bloomfield, and after that B. B. King and Muddy Waters, etc. At that time, there was a lot of blues on FM radio, and it was popular among kids learning guitar in my circle of friends.

I've enjoyed it ever since, in a variety of styles, including jazz and fingerstyle players. And I enjoy playing blues, though I certainly wouldn't want to play blues EXCLUSIVELY. More power to those who do.....

Surely Eric. And all......

Let's not forget the contribution that JOHN MAYALL made in spurring late '60's white kids with "garage bands" into an interest not only in the music, but the HISTORY of it by his doing a lot of covers of old tunes by Freddie King, Mose Allison, Little Walter, Elmore James, Otis Rush, J.B.Lenoir, Willie Dixon and Eddie Kirkland(to name a few) that also sparked THEM to learn more about THOSE guys and cultivate a renewed and revitalized interest in the genre.

And JOHNNY WINTER driving it home with the electric intensity we were already digging due to JIMI. Personally, I was kinda glad to see others finally catching UP. ;)

But then also, you'd have to credit ERIC CLAPTON due to those kid's interest in CREAM, and snatching up that re-release of Mayall's old "Bluesbreakers with Eric Clapton" LP to see what THAT was all about. ;)

Whitefang

Yeah, God BLESS 'im.

Mayall's 83 years old and still kickin' them out!

I'm woefully short on my Mayall, only having everything just up to "Turning Point". But until I get off my ass and order the CD I'm uncharacteristically listening to cuts from his latest, "Talk About That" on YouTube. Recorded last year and released(I think) very early this year, It sounds pretty good and does prove that age IS just a number! :)

And what WAS up with that "legendary" 9-string guitar of his he supposedly built himself?

Whitefang

I've always liked John Mayall - a real stalwart.

Back in the '60s, blues was a "crusade" to lots of young white kids; in fact, Mayall had an album by that name!

Of course, we live in a different era now, but there's something about those salty sevenths and quarter note bends that's still very seductive.

Re: the 9 string guitar - there was an old bluesman, Big Joe Williams, who was known for playing one - it might well have been Mayall's inspiration for wanting one. Built it himself? Cool, if true.

[i have been reticent to post on this thread, because I have posted this information several times in various threads over the past several years. However, since it responds directly to the question asked in the original post, I guess one more iteration of the loop won't hurt.

I was first introduced to the Blues at the age of 13 by a weekly Philadelphia radio show called Folklore. It ran from 9:00p.m. to 1:00a.m. on Sunday nights. I sat, glued to the kitchen radio every week for 4 hours. Every time the host, Gene Shay would play a Blues tune the music would make me jump from my chair and pace around the room, excited by what I was hearing.

I started playing guitar at 14. I took lessons from a very good teacher who taught me the rudiments of guitar, including how to read notation (standard and TAB). I studied with him for about a year.

Back in the '60's there was a great place in Philly called The Philadelphia Guitar Workshop. It was a cool place for musicians of all ability levels to hang out. Most of the Philly guitar players including cats like Todd Rundren would hang out there (at the time, Todd was playing with an excellent R&B band called Woody's Truck Stop. It was here that I met my Blues teacher, Jerry Ricks. I was 15 years old.

At that time, there was a "Folk Club" in Philly called The Second Fret. The club contracted with Jerry as an agent to hire the Blues acts who appeared at the club. The Blues cats he hired would stay at Jerry's house and when I walked into Jerry's living room, people like Mississippi John Hurt, Doc Watson, Lightnin' Hopkins et. al. would be sitting on the sofa.

I was incredibly fortunate to find a highly skilled (and well connected) Bluesman like Jerry to teach me. I studied acoustic Blues with Jerry for about 2 years and went back for more lessons in 1969 to learn the essentials of "South Side Chicago" style electric Blues in 1969 when I was 19.

Jerry was a very tough and demanding teacher. He would curse at me and call me names. However, throughout the years, whenever people have complimented me on my Blues playing abilities, I always respond the same way. I say, "Thank you. I had a good teacher".

I should also acknowledge the knowledge given to me by my first Jazz teacher, Greg Wright, who put more polish on my Blues chops and gave me a more "uptown", sophisticated, "jazzier" sound. Thanks, Greg.

If you play cool, you are cool.

First Fred,.....

I'm guessing you're about the same age I am.

And that "Folklore" was probably a program that centered on folk music( duh!)

At around the same time age-wise, I would stay up late Sunday nights listening to a radio program here in Detroit called "Michigan Moving", which also focused mainly on folk. And what proves much to your chagrin that we have more in common than you thought. :)

Now, there's another forum I'm in(TCM, about classic movies, but also wanders around other topics) where there's a guy who goes on about being from Philly. We've been in threads that discuss various music genres, but he never mentioned the program you brought up. I'll have to ask him if he's familiar with it as he too, is around the same age. Interesting that he's never brought it up. But then again....

He just recently made the claim that there was nothing "black" about Chuck Berry's music. :rolleyes:

Know what you mean though. Listening to that Chicago station through my brother's crystal radio did often have me bouncing my head and boogie-ing in my seat! ;)

Whitefang

A great history and a great life story Brother Fred! You are one lucky guy to have been in the same room with those blues masters! Blues with a jazz polishing is a great way to go! :cool:
Take care, Larryz

There were some who told me( in their opinion) that "Jazz is Blues with FANCY CLOTHES". ;)

Maybe, maybe not, but I can't argue with your conclusion. :)

Whitefang

I will tell you of my experience, if you are talking to a pure blues person, Jazz is a "child" of "Blues:

If you're talking to a Pure Jazz person, Jazz began in New Orleans area with Ragtime, before Blues were around.

Same with "Country Music Blues". Blues historians deny this as blues, even Jimmie Rodgers blues. They claim it is an offshoot of the real blues. And Hank Williams doesn't follow the traditional blues formats. Country Music artists think they sing the Blues...

Always to sides to every book.

Re: 'is that the REAL blues?" - these questions will never be resolved to everyone's satisfaction.

Reminding me of a book I read by a jazz trumpeter who was playing the music back in the '20s in the early days, and they played the pop tunes of their day, all kinds of things.

Then years later, "experts" came along - experts because they owned a lot of records, I guess, and told him that his playing wasn't "authentic" enough for them, LOL.

Re: "jazz is blues with fancy clothes" - yes, a lot of jazz is blues based, and some of those guys played with great blues FEELING - I was just listening yesterday to Ben Webster, one of the great sax players, who really exemplifies this.

Any blues fan should check Billie Holiday's "Fine and Mellow" live on You Tube, and not just for her singing.

I think that some jazz nowadays hasn't gotten so intellectual and inbred that it's very impressive and all that, but doesn't have a lot of HEART -- of course, that's highly subjective, LOL.

@Eric:

Not having "a lot of HEART"?

Heh...Don't they call THAT "Smooth Jazz"? :D

Sure, for a long time there, it seemed that jazz DID get sorta "too intellectual", or as another friend of mine put it, "too big for it's britches" ;)

But lately on a jazz station I listen to, and some of the newer stuff I hear on that "Music Choice" cable TV station, the newer stuff is getting back to what many feel made it great. Oh, as for the other thing.....

Recall FRANK ZAPPA somewhere in JOE'S GARAGE making the claim;...

"Jazz isn't dead. It just SMELLS funny." :D

Whitefang

Thanks , Fred, for yer posting earlier.

I appreciate it, as with all other comments you have.

I MUST ADMIT HOWEVER THAT THIS IS MY OFFICIAL REQUEST THAT WHITEFANG NOT KEEP RESPONDING TO OR COMMENTING ON ANY OF MY POSTS.

d=halfnote

Archived