Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Indian Slap Bass technique

Bottom End

Well, this is different, but pretty cool. [video:youtube]

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I thought the Indian dude showed complete mastery of his instrument. To appreciate what he's doing it helps to have a bit of exposure to how Indian music works - particularly the ongoing dialogue between tabla and dancer or tabla and stringed instruments during performance.

Epi EB-3

G-K Backline 600

2 x Eden EX112

I thought the Indian dude showed complete mastery of his instrument. To appreciate what he's doing it helps to have a bit of exposure to how Indian music works - particularly the ongoing dialogue between tabla and dancer or tabla and stringed instruments during performance.
I agree, I've seen some live tabla performances with dancers, and that is an important factor.

The bass player for the Mali/Tuareg group Tinariwen does some interesting work as well.

As for Entwhistle, he was incredible, truly made the bass a lead instrument. There is a documentary titled "The Ox's tale" that is well worth watching.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived