Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hollow vs. Semihollow Electrics

Delta

I picked up the top-end Epiphone De Luxe Masterbilt 17" solid-spruce f-hole arch-top hollowbody acoustic guitar today, and am blown away by the workmanship, artistry, and purity of sound.

So warm and even, up and down the neck, and very projective. I didn't even bother plugging it in yet. It has a sound all of its own, but may make my D'angelico EXL-1 redundant; we'll see.

Really nice-playing "Rounded C" neck shape, even if narrow at the nut (1.69" like an Ibanez vs. 1.84" like D'angelico).

Ebony fingerboard, which I always prefer to rosewood when available.

No bag or case; I don't mind spending on the case but it could be a long wait. I'll see if my Gator jumbo case (for my Alvarez baritone) fits it when I get home. Or I'll order the Epi case.

Honey finish, satin vs. gloss, and flame maple sides/back. Not as much arch overall as the more typical later-styled electro-acoustic models.

This one has a piezo under the bridge. Reviews rave about it. I only played it acoustically, and found it's even good for rockabilly and early rock'n'roll (50's/60's/70's).

I'll definitely be sticking to rounds on this one vs. flats, but do prefer flats on my Ibanez Pat Metheny maple-top jazzer (which is short scale and 16" wide).

Nice! I'm glad for you, Mark.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Congrats Mark! I had to send one back due to the electronics not working right. Pay close attention to the volume levels on the 1st and 2nd strings as compared to the rest when you plug it in. Mine was very low especially on the E string. Hope yours works great as they are beautiful guitars and the price is right! I love the controls out of sight inside the F-holes and the action is very cool! :cool:
Take care, Larryz

Hey Mark,

Congrats on the NGD! Enjoy!

I also agree with Bro. Larry. I assume that you'll take the instrument in to a qualified guitar tech for initial setup to ensure that the guitar is playing properly. It's $50 well spent.

If you play cool, you are cool.

Larry, thanks for the heads-up on the electronics; I'll try it out tomorrow morning and see if everything checks out.

It will get its pro inspection on Thursday. Same guy I've used for over 20 years; well known and does tech work for Journey.

I couldn't find any refs on what "NGD" stands for, except "nerd geek dork". And maybe Simple Minds's "New Gold Dream".

"New Guitar Dream"?

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Keep us posted Mark and I'll bet she'll sound good plugged in! I'm not sure about NGD either but it may be New Guitar Department? or, New Gear Department? Usually comes up when someone gets GAS which I think stands for Gear or Guitar Acquisition Syndrome LOL! :crazy:
Take care, Larryz

Haha, it's funny how many alternates came up.

Believe it or not, back when I was on various standards committees, a couple of them changed what the acronym stood for, many years into the life of the organization, due to changing scope or needs!

Marketing people tell me that's one of the reasons they love them, because you can shape them to whatever you need at the time. People do remember acronyms, but don't always remember what they stand for.

How many of today's youth know that IBM stands for "International Business Machines"?

How many people knew that LASER is an acronym; much less what it stands for?

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

The electronics seem fine and balanced on mine. Not sure I'd use them, just as I'd rather mic a standard flattop acoustic than plug in a piezo, but even going through my Fender Deluxe Reverb (1965 reissue), it sounds very natural and just an amplified version of the acoustic sound, with some flexibility on tone if you have to dial it in for the room.

The guitar itself is fabulous, and feels/sounds much better to me than my D'angelico EXL-1, even though they are different animals. Also, this firmed up my decision to sell my Brasilian Rosewood manouche guitar, as I find its tone too focused and the neck ("U" shaped) not good for my small hands (I prefer "V" and "C" necks, with "D" as an acceptable compromise).

I'll probably sell the EXL-1 as well, as I don't like it's neck feel all that well compared to my Ibanez Pat Metheny or this Epiphone acoustic archtop. Partly I just don't get on well with rosewood fingerboards, but I'm also feeling the need for a solid top when it comes to anything spruce (not as picky with maple tops).

The electronics seem fine and balanced on mine. Not sure I'd use them, just as I'd rather mic a standard flattop acoustic than plug in a piezo, but even going through my Fender Deluxe Reverb (1965 reissue), it sounds very natural and just an amplified version of the acoustic sound, with some flexibility on tone if you have to dial it in for the room.

The guitar itself is fabulous, and feels/sounds much better to me than my D'angelico EXL-1, even though they are different animals. Also, this firmed up my decision to sell my Brasilian Rosewood manouche guitar, as I find its tone too focused and the neck ("U" shaped) not good for my small hands (I prefer "V" and "C" necks, with "D" as an acceptable compromise).

I'll probably sell the EXL-1 as well, as I don't like it's neck feel all that well compared to my Ibanez Pat Metheny or this Epiphone acoustic archtop. Partly I just don't get on well with rosewood fingerboards, but I'm also feeling the need for a solid top when it comes to anything spruce (not as picky with maple tops).

Glad to read that!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

The only setup work it'll need, after today's inspection, is a replacement of the ebony saddle for one that is compensated.

I ordered two sets of Cleartone Bluegrass Strings as I like the 12's that are on it and would rather try heavier bottoms on their own before going straight to 13's.

I was surprised to learn today that Gibson released a high-end Epiphone ES-295 model early this year or late last year:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone/Limited-Edition-ES-295-Hollow-Body-Electric-Guitar.gc

I'm thinking of getting one, as it seems likely to be quite good and not such a compromise vs. the $3L to $4K Gibson model that I'll likely never buy.

The gold is beautiful, but I think the walnut is the best as it lets the grain show through. It supposedly also comes in red, but no one has that one.

Does anyone know how good these P-90's are from Gibson USA? I found one YouTube video of this model that was pretty thorough, and liked most of what I heard, but it almost sounds a bit Dynatron-ish compared to Gibson's more expensive version.

Not sure I'm cool with it having a Bigsby, as that was part of what I didn't like about the similar Guild X-175 (spruce top, not-so-good pickups, and even narrow nut).

Not sure I'm cool with it having a Bigsby, as that was part of what I didn't like about the similar Guild X-175 (spruce top, not-so-good pickups, and even narrow nut).

Over on the Gretsch forum they're falling all over themselves about how great these pickups are.

Scott Fraser

I have the ES-175 premium and it really sounds sweet with the US made 57 humbuckers. The ES-295 is basically the same guitar (Scotty Moore model) with the P-90's. If the 90's are US made, it would be well worth a listen. My buddy had the Wildcat with foreign made P90's and didn't care for them. He also had the Bigsby and had trouble keeping it in tune. I tried to tell him the roller bridge from Allparts is a quick fix that will work wonders with a Bigsby, but he wasn't interested in keeping the guitar. If you go with the Bigsby, the 1st thing to do is exchange that saddle bridge to a roller bridge. Then you should have a sweet axe for the money.

I almost bought the Gibson Scotty Moore 295 for $4grand. The Es-175 does the job for $1grand sans Bigsby...not happy with the output jack sans lock washer LOL! I have to Give Epi credit for using US made pups and selling at reasonable prices for a great sounding and playing guitar! I may revisit that big old gold hollow bodied Gibson with the P90's some day as Scotty is my rockabilly mentor. My dad had the original P90's on a 57 330 Gibson (looks just like a 335) back in the 60's that I used to play gigs on...SWEET! :cool:

Take care, Larryz

The sunburst version of the Guild X-175 doesn't come with the Bigsby, if that was keeping you away from that model.

Scott Fraser

I owned the Guild X-175 for a few years; never grew attached, for various reasons, but this Epiphone model is a different beast in the areas where it counts.

A co-worker's bandmate bought one in gold recently and he says it has a great neck, unlike most Epi's (the reason I stick away, vs. snobbery). I ordered it today and in gold as a few eBay ads for walnut finish got me going the other direction as the gold hardware is gaudy and the wood grain not consistent enough to warrant it showing, plus the walnut is a bit too dark.

Archived