Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kong Module quirks

Heartbeat

I think there's more than a few of you running this software now in their rigs. I thought would share a few things to Korgs wish list. Let me know if any of you experience anything similar.

I'm running a Nord C2 organ to a Korg Plugkey to an iPad mini 2, which I purchased specially to house the Korg Module as an add-on to the Nord organ.

1. Because of the shorter organ keyboards, there are times when I'm playing piano solos that I would like to go up an octave, but there is no octave shift readily available, it's buried in a sub-menu somewhere which is just unusable in a live scenario.

2. Even though I thought the IPad mini would have more than enough horse power to run this app, the standard setting still had latency issues. I've gone in and set the latency setting to the fastest available, and it seems ok for now.

3. I'm running the bread and butter sounds on the lower keyboard, and an Arp Oddysey on the upper keyboard. There is a volume control on the PlugKey, but it gets hectic sharing one volume control with two Module sounds.

That's about it for now. In spite of these things, it's still a lot of fun dabbling in this new technology for what cost me about $500-600 above and beyond the cost of the organ.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2. Even though I thought the IPad mini would have more than enough horse power to run this app, the standard setting still had latency issues. I've gone in and set the latency setting to the fastest available, and it seems ok for now.

The iPad Mini is fine, which is why you *can* set the latency to the fastest available. They probably set the default to higher latency to make sure it runs on lesser models (or maybe also when multitasking, etc.). I don't think any app alters its settings automatically based on which model of iPad you're installing on, so I think it's usually up to you to enable higher performance settings if your hardware is capable of it. IOW, if its set for 512, you're going to get (at least) about 11 ms latency no matter how much horsepower your device has, because, in essence, that's what 512 means.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

what those guys above said.

Also, I think (but am not sure, will have to check when I get home) that Module will respond to octave shifts from an external MIDI keyboard, just can't do it easily on the iPad screen.

I may be wrong about that though.

roy

You might be able to use the iMidiPatchbay app to route the Nord to Module, adding octave shift functionality that way.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Ok, IMidiPatchbay is working and will do octave shifts. I have one side affect so far. The Korg Module appears to be getting midi signal directly from the Korg Plugkkey AND from the IMidiPatchbay. So that when I hit the octave shift button I can hear original piano AND the high piano.

On the right trail though......

Ok, IMidiPatchbay is working and will do octave shifts. I have one side affect so far. The Korg Module appears to be getting midi signal directly from the Korg Plugkkey AND from the IMidiPatchbay. So that when I hit the octave shift button I can hear original piano AND the high piano.

On the right trail though......

There may be more than one solution, but assuming your C2 is transmitting on MIDI channel 1, you can change Korg Module to receive on some other MIDI channel, and then Module would only be able to see what was routed to it via iMidiPatchbay and would ignore what was coming in directly from your board on channel 1.

The Nord C2 is transmitting upper keyboard on Ch 1 and lower keyboard on Ch 2. The Korg Module piano is connected to the lower keyboard. I tried your suggestion of setting the Module to a different Midi channel, but it kills audio from both sources.

You should be able to have iMidiPatchbay "listen" to incoming MIDI from channels 1 and 2, and route them as desired to Korg Module, and then Korg Module should only see what iMidiPatchbay sends it as long as the channel you selected for Module was something other than 1 or 2.

Sorry Scott. Been at it all day and I'm still getting the original Midi going to the Korg Module irregardless of the IMPBay. The IMPB is doing what it's supposed to do. The Korg Module appears to be the problem.

Wondering if I need another app like Midi Flow to break that connection from the Korg Plugkey directly to the Module, and then let IMPB do its thing?

Um... he likes iPhones?

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m305/Koda_Vonnor/Misc/funny-king-kong-memes-6.jpg

Gear:

Hardware: Nord Stage4, Korg Kronos 2, Novation Summit

Software: Cantabile 3, Halion Sonic 3 and assorted VST plug-ins.

Sorry Scott. Been at it all day and I'm still getting the original Midi going to the Korg Module irregardless of the IMPBay. The IMPB is doing what it's supposed to do. The Korg Module appears to be the problem.

Even if Korg Module is seeing the original MIDI, as long as that the original MIDI is on channels 1 and 2, and Module is set to receive only on (for example) channel 3, I don't see how Module could be reacting directly to any of that MIDI input. So if you've confirmed that MIDI assignment, I would look at other parameters within IMPB. As a quick test, you could simply shut down IMPB, which should confirm that Korg Module is not producing any sound merely on direct input from the C2. If it's still producing sound, then I'd double-check the send channels of the Nord and the receive channels of Module. If they're different, I don't see how you could be getting sound. (Of course, make sure Module is actually set for some specific unused channel, and not set for Omni!)

Now I'm wondering if IMidiPatchbay can accept input from more than one controller simultaneously? So far only Ch 1.

Yes. Originally, it had that feature out of the box, but I just checked, and they subsequently took out some features and lowered the price, so now you need to make an in-app purchase to support more than one controller, but yes, it can do it. In fact, they support up to 4 controllers now (I think it used to be just 2). Since your C2 transmits from each manual on its own channel, that would count as two controllers, if you want to be able to use both manuals to trigger iPad sounds.

ETA: from the main screen, scroll left (swipe right on an area of the screen that isn't a knob or button) to get to the screen for additional controllers. And use the Setup button at the top left to define them.

Archived