Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Leslie 2101 Mk2 Line Outputs

Odyssian

Hi All,

So I was listening to the line outputs of my 2101. For some reason, I can't get either the Rotary Out, or the Rot. Bass Out to have any stereo effect as the rotor is turning. I'm using the 1/4" Rotary input from my Triton.

Has anyone noticed this? I would think both of these outputs should supply a stereo signal judging from the signal flow chart in the manual.

Is there a setting that I'm missing somewhere?

Thanks!

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Rotary Bass channel only puts out signals below 125Hz and they don't go through the digital Leslie so there won't be a stereo effect there. The Rotary out channel only handles frequencies between 800 (or 700 depending on setting, IIRC) and 125Hz.

What kind of sound/instrument are you sending to the rotary input? Could it just not have frequencies in the that range? Do you hear rotation from the 2101's stationary speakers?

What are you connecting the outputs to?

FWIW - the wavelength is so long below 125 that the effect of the lower rotor is barely noticeable on a real Leslie, and it just becomes an AM throb with virtually no FM.

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

The Rotary Bass channel only puts out signals below 125Hz and they don't go through the digital Leslie so there won't be a stereo effect there. The Rotary out channel only handles frequencies between 800 (or 700 depending on setting, IIRC) and 125Hz.

What kind of sound/instrument are you sending to the rotary input? Could it just not have frequencies in the that range? Do you hear rotation from the 2101's stationary speakers?

What are you connecting the outputs to?

Thanks for the reply -

I used a couple of organ patches from my Korg Triton, which is plugged into the rotary channel of the Leslie 2101.

I played the lowest octaves which should be well below the 125Hz cutoff.

I didn't closely check to see if I could hear the separation on the Leslie's 5" stationary speakers, as the horns were pretty loud when I did try to listen for that.

The output of the Leslie I connected to my line mixer, which in turn is connected to my amp and speakers. The pan pots on my line mixer are panned hard left and right for the channels that I used for the Leslie.

FWIW - the wavelength is so long below 125 that the effect of the lower rotor is barely noticeable on a real Leslie, and it just becomes an AM throb with virtually no FM.

I know that we tend to lose the ability to hear stereo separation in those frequencies, but the manual state that there should be a stereo signal from both the L/R Bass Rot. and the L/R Rotary outputs. That's why I'm curious as to why I can't seem to detect any kind of separation between the L/R Line Outputs.

Even my line mixer channel meters indicate these two stereo output pairs are indeed the same amplitute, no matter the speed of the horn rotation.

I'm wondering if this is a DSP programming oversight, or an overlooked detail during the writing of the manual, or if I'm doing something wrong.

Here's a link to the manual for anyone interested...

Leslie 2101 Manual

On page 6 of the PDF document is the signal flow chart. I can see how the bass rotor doesn't go through the DSP rotary circuit.

On page 11 is a diagram on how to connect a single horn unit to two stationary cabinets for stereo separation.

Here's some verbage from below the diagram:

Connecting the LEFT outputs to one

Stationary-Unit and the RIGHT outputs to the other Staionary-Unit will provide Stereo separation, particularly to enhance the Bass Rotor effect.

An additional reason to think that the bass rot. and rotary line outputs are stereo, is that they are marked L/R for each of the two output jacks.

A curious thing is that the manual shows four total line out jacks. Two jacks for left and right of the rotary output, and two jacks for left and right for the bass rot/stationary outputs.

My 2101 only has a single L/R jack for the rotary out, and a single L/R for the bass rot and stationary outputs.

Okay, so this SOS review states it clearly - the bass rot. L/R outputs are in mono, and the rotary L/R outputs are stereo (as processed by the DSP).

SOS 2101 Review

I'll try setting the crossover point between the lower rotary and horn to a higher frequency to see if I can hear any separation in the rotary outputs.

Okay, sorry to post so much about this, but I'm planning on using the 2101 at an upcoming gig.

I just tried the Rotary line outputs again, and now I hear a stereo effect. I don't know why I couldn't hear it before.

I also noticed last night that when you plug into the Rotary L/R Line Out jack, that the 5" and possibly the tweeter speakers are disabled on the 2101 unit itself.

Hmmm... after turning the horn volume down to zero, I hear that there is still sound coming out of the 2101, so maybe the 5" and tweeter speakers are not disabled, but only attenuated while using the rotary line output? IDK....

Archived