Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Komp notation software - a "StaffPad for iOS"

tfort

I read this interview with Semitone Audio's Gene Ragan over at the Sibelius Blog today:

http://www.sibeliusblog.com/news/namm-2017-komp-a-music-handwriting-app-for-ios-is-in-development/

Looks great- former Passport Designs and Apple guy, optimized for Apple Pencil, uses MusicXML as its file format. Availability ca. March; unfortunately they are considering using a subscription-based pricing model which is a non-starter for me.

StaffPad's association with Microsoft has left the door open for other pen-based notation software on iOS. Notion doesn't seem to work well, but it looks this might be what all of us iPad-using, StaffPad-wanting people might have been waiting for.

I contacted Semitone at their web site to ask them to reconsider the subscription pricing model. If you want to reach out to them before Komp is released you can do it at https://www.semitone.audio.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for sharing. This looks interesting... not sure what sort of deal the StaffPad guys signed with MS to keep their app Windows only and for how long. But from what I've seen, I'm not all that impressed with StaffPad, so whatever.

The developer that gets this right, which is really hard to do... will do really well for themselves. Musical handwriting recognition is not easy to do (although I suspect AI will soon play a big part in perfecting it). At which time, the dream of straight digital conversion from your pencil/stylus will be a reality. Right now, they are all inaccurate and cumbersome.

The "training camp" feature might be really helpful to assist in recognition...

[video:youtube]

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

It seems that people intuitively want to draw by hand but when you actually try it, it takes so darn long and there are so many problems associated with it, that you revert back to typing or using a keyboard.

Another problem is that the music notation market is actually smaller than most people think and it seems to have a real problem generating income.

I wish them luck, but as he mentions Steve Jobs - it seemed to me that Steve also hated windows like his "training area". He just wanted it to do the "right thing" which is hard.

Korg Kronos, Roland RD-88, Korg Kross, JP8000, MS2000, Sequential Pro One, Micromoog, Yamaha VL1, author of unrealBook for iPad.

I think the market for a pen-based notation program ought to be the public school system; have kids writing and able to hear their compositions as they create. Problem of course is the cost of entry - an iPad Pro and Apple Pencil.

Dorico seems to be about to devour the high end publishing/engraving market, and they don't seem to want to go after the simpler, pen-based market.

> Dorico seems to be about to devour the high end publishing/engraving market

Yes, it will be great to have another alternative to Finale and Sibelius for the high end engraving market which seems to be the most vocal of the bunch.

And vocal they are..... used to do tech support for a notation company!!!!!!

Korg Kronos, Roland RD-88, Korg Kross, JP8000, MS2000, Sequential Pro One, Micromoog, Yamaha VL1, author of unrealBook for iPad.

• 4 months later...
Bumping this thread because I missed it the first time around and just learned about this app. Just wondering if anyone has used it and what their thoughts are? My initial impressions from the videos are: 1) Subscription service is likely a deal breaker. 2) Another pen-based notation app that can't do chord symbols?? Have we learned nothing from StaffPad?

• 10 months later...
Since I got the latest iPad (not Pro) that supports Apple Pencil, I've been looking into apps that use Pencil including notation apps. Searching here turned up this thread, and looking at Komp on the App Store, it appears that it no longer requires a subscription. I've downloaded it and it looks good so far. I don't know if there are in-app purchases or how the developer is making money, but I haven't paid anything yet. :idk:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Ack. The current version doesn't seem to recognize my iPad's support of Apple Pencil. I've emailed the developer and told them I hope they update the app to support iPad (6th gen)'s ability to use Apple Pencil soon.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

You probably already know about I b Pro, but its great for chord charts. Nothing for leads (no staff capability) but quite handy and you can download charts from the forum and can write your own.

Jake

Joe, I didnt realize this was an older thread....I just saw your posts and then scrolled up to the rest. Just disregard this..

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

Archived