Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

RIP Bobby Vee

whitefang

Say what you want. When I was a kid, I liked him and had a few of his 45s( "Stayin' In", "Take Good Care Of My Baby" and "The Night Has A Thousand Eyes")

Died at age 73 from Alzheimer's. WAS a part of the "soundtrack of my life", so I'm sad to learn it.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I heard on the radio about it. I remembered the name but none of the songs until they played some clips. Each one rang a bell immediately. We lost a great influence to our music when we were young. I just had not heard any of them for years. Jim

I had to check that out. Seems that back before EITHER of them were ever heard of, Dylan, using the name ELSTON GUNN, toured with Vee's band( called The Shadows) for a short while. Interesting stuff.

Another interesting thing....Vee was inducted into the ROCKABILLY HALL OF FAME in 2011. Never thought of him as a rockabilly artist!

He's also in the SCANDINAVIAN-AMERICAN hall of fame.

Whitefang

Right after that fatal plane crash, Vee quickly assembled a band of Fargo schoolboys and volunteered to fill in for Holly on that "Winter Dance Party" tour's Moorhead Minn. date. They were such a success that it launched Vee's career.

He apparently wrote and recorded a song called "Suaie Baby", that was inspired by Holly's "peggy Sue" that became a local Fargo hit. And in 1963, recorded a tribute LP to Buddy Holly, which MIGHT have given some the idea that he WAS a rockabilly artist. But Vee's biggest claim to fame was as a "pop" artist.

It's interesting how some of these guy's careers got off the ground. Like, if producer JOHN HAMMOND didn't hear Bob Dylan's harmonica playing on a CAROLYN HESTER album(which Bob sat in for), we might not have ever heard of HIM!

Whitefang

Ya gotta admit. Compared to what most of his contemporaries were doing with a harmonica in a holder at the time, Bob's harmonica work with the same set up was MILES ahead!

YOU'RE a YouTube maven. See if you can find his version of "Gospel Plow" and hear what I mean. :)

Whitefang

<---here's gospel plow...I played as a duo with my harmonica buddy who is also a Dylan fan for many years. He can cover Dylan's harmonica note for note (breath for breath LOL!). I'm pretty accustomed to the vibe LOL!

<---here's some famous licks! I do have to admit, I don't think many of his songs would be the same without that harmonica. And I like it along with his singing... :crazy:
Take care, Larryz

Archived