Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Major Reconstruction

Paul K

Ladies and Gentlemen;

I have a Cort Curbow 5 string fretless that I acquired some time ago in trade for a superior instrument that just wasn't for me (A Warmouth fretless 5 that was as big and heavy as a tank. But t'was a really, really sweet tank). Anyway, this Cort thing needed weekly truss rod adjustments...not like the tank. In time, the fretboard separated from the neck from me pulling on the headstock while adjusting the truss rod-- a common occurrence with that axe. My twice attempted DIY glue job didn't work because I used the wrong glue: the plastic fretboard required less organic stuff than regular wood glue. It has a weird neck socket; a replacement neck was out of the question. So it was time to scrap it or get more aggressive. A local luthier agreed to glue it back on for a reasonable price, and agreed to install a pair of graphite rods into the neck while the neck was off. The neck is no longer a noodle and plays as sweet as my other basses. It cost three or four gigs to make it happen, but it works well and is a unique bass that gets many compliments. It's my new #1 for non-jazz gigs. (That's a string preference: nylon tapes are on my jazz axe)

More important: I am really digging the on-board 3 band EQ. I do wish the bass and treble knobs weren't as sensitive, as a tiny bit of tweak provides a huge change in sound. But on stage adjustment is helping me a lot more than I thought it could. Stage sound is about more than just volume-- too boomy or too bright? Fixed. No thump or sizzle? fixed. And with the now stable neck, the bass gets put into the gig bag on a regular basis.

The mid control....dunno how I feel about that yet. It might be more control than I can handle or need....like a 9 band EQ in your car while going 70 mph. So far I'm just ignoring it.

So. Not endorsing the Cort Curbow bass, just endorsing the concept of on board-EQ.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Peace

Paul K

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got a few basses with onboard eq. Most of the time I don't use this feature, but sometimes I will in a difficult room, or if I can't get back to my amp quickly to make adjustments.

And even if you don't use any of the controls, it looks cool to have a lot of switches and dials on your bass.

Here's part of a BP magazine interview with Lee Sklar:

And how about your Producer Switch?

Ah, the Producer Switch! That was inspired by incompetent producers ignorant of music terminology, who would make nebulous statements like, Can you make it shimmer? Or, Can you make it more mauve-y? I had done a TV session where Tommy Tedescoout of sight of the producer, except for his headkept bending over and picking up the same acoustic guitar when asked to try mandolin and other stringed instruments. He would simply play in a different position on the neck, and it worked! So I immediately went home and drilled a hole in my bass and put in a dummy Switchcraft switch. Then when I would get one of these tenuous requests, I would make sure the producer could see me hit the switch, and Id just play higher up on the neck or pluck closer to the bridge, and theyd say, Perfect! On my Warwick Star Basses there was an extra hole from a change in the electronics, so I had them put a Producer Switch on them.

I remember this being a common issue with those Cort Curbows, Paul. 2 friends of mine had them, each with neck issues; one just like yours, where the fretboard separated from the rest of the neck. Glad you got yours back in working condition, and I hope it stays that way for a long time.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

Is this typical of only the Cort version, or Curbows in general?

I think it's specific to the Cort manufactured bass, designed by whats-his-first-name Curbow (RIP). The plastic fretboard didn't mate well with the noodle neck--maybe they also used the wrong glue.

In general, though, it might be prudent when doing a truss rod adjustment to pull back on the fretboard, and not on the headstock.

Ha! I broke a string....took the Cort bass out of the bag, didn't touch anything and....snap. D string. Yes a had a spare, but it was used and it almost wasn't long enough.

So my experience is that tightening and loosening strings a whole bunch of times is tough on the strings. I had the same kind of thing happen when I was sanding down the bridge bone on my 12 string. Little by little, right? Yes. A pain in ass. And a couple broke in the process.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived