Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Dig it.

p90jr

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The "Tallava style" video on the top of the page (for now). (Facebook's video sharing seems more recent than the coding for our forum, here, so I couldn't create a link directly to the video).

https://www.facebook.com/guitarloves1/videos/233684493629982/

Found the same clip on youtube. Enjoy.

Turkish "Tallava" guitar.

[video:youtube]

Very nice easy listening music and he's a very talented player... :cool:

Obviously, some George Benson records made their way to Turkey, where they got mashed up with the local sounds. I love stuff like that...

Many of the keyboard players I knew from my neck back in "The Day" were those guys from Polish families whose parents insisted they learn to play the accordian when they were kids.

Muamet sounds as if he was kickin' ass on the bouzouki for years before finally picking up a guitar. I hear a lot of traditional bouzouki playing style in what he's doing. I've seen plenty of those guys over the years at those Greek festivals they'd have at Detroit's Greektown every year. Impressive musicians, and so is this guy! They're BOTH outstanding.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Obviously, some George Benson records made their way to Turkey, where they got mashed up with the local sounds. I love stuff like that...

It's very interesting to listen to both of these guys coming out with their vibe. I like the 1st one the best for his sound and playing...I think I might throw in a little Dick Dale vibe to that George Benson, but I'm sure that triple picking comes from his local territory LOL! :cool:

Take care, Larryz

It's very interesting to listen to both of these guys coming out with their vibe. I like the 1st one the best for his sound and playing...I think I might throw in a little Dick Dale vibe to that George Benson, but I'm sure that triple picking comes from his local territory LOL! :cool:

Dick Dale's real name is Richard Monsour. His father is Lebanese, born in Beirut, and his mothers parents were immigrants from Poland and Belarus. He says his guitar style came from hearing the traditional music from those places in his head while he was surfing. "Misirlou" is a traditional Eastern European song and a family favorite that his dad's family played around the house on ouds and tarabakis.

So, "The Father of Surf Music" and the guys in the vids are getting their Eastern Mediterranean Persian and Arabic flavor from the same place, really.

Heh!

Easy for HIM, but in cases like mine and those "accordian first" guys, I'd find it difficult to turn "The Beer Barrel Polka" into ANY kind of rock tune! :D

We had one of those "accorian first" guys playing keyboard in one of those "basement bands" I was in. We used to kid him, "Now, Jerry....when your solo comes in, don't flake out on us and start playing "Lady Of Spain", OK?" Pizzed him off every time.

When we did have a gig at a friends party once, we did a tune that called for him to do a solo( I forget the tune). So, JUST before his solo part came up, the bass player leaned over and gave him the "Lady Of Spain" routine. But, when the solo came up, he ripped into a rendition of "The Beer Barrel Polka"! "Happy NOW, Motherfu---ers?" he shouted as we rolled on the floor. :D

Whitefang

@P90, that's some great info, I knew there was some surf vibe in there somewhere as that kind of stuff is ingrained in my brain LOL! Dick Dale did a lot of cool surf music but +1 Miserlou has got that Eastern flair to it and is the tune Dick Dale is most famous for. I love playing Pipeline and play my own version. Dick Dale and Stevie Ray play their own version:

which I have posted several times as it's my favorite and is fun to watch!

<---here's Dick, so others can catch the connection vibe that we're talking about...

<---here's what happens when Cowboy meets Surf...as a contribution to "Dig It".

@ Fang, There is an old dude accordion player that would show up from time to time at an acoustic open mic club and play along with me and others who were brave enough to get up on stage, if we wanted him to. And, I always wanted him to when he was there as the guy was just flat great. He could really help make any song come alive including country, rock and roll, jazzy standards, etc., on both lead and backing on that squeeze box...I got a kick out of your accordion story too LOL! :cool:

Take care, Larryz

A guy I would work with on projects in my job, who was a baby boomer-aged Polish American and lived in NYC and was a drummer, had some older relatives pull him into a Polka band with lederhosen and the whole deal. He said "these old guys drink the hardest living rock and blues bands I've ever played with under the table! I had to learn really quick that I can't keep up with the amount of beer they down at a gig... which is pretty much a mug after every song."

That's about 40 beers at a 4 hour gig...but maybe they slow down just a little after a case (i.e. a 24 pack in my day) which would last 4 of us T-total-ers through the night LOL! :crazy:

I think those songs tend to go on for about 10 or more minutes, each, based on beer halls I've visited in places like Pittsburgh, if people start dancing.

:D

Well, I don't drink beer( or ANY alcohol really)

Whitefang

I guess you're saying you have a drinking problem. Or a problem drinking, more like.

Well, I never really liked the feeling(both during and next day) of being drunk, and since I drink so seldomly, it don't take much to get me there, so I stay away. :)

Whitefang

Archived